What if a new tractor wasn't new?

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new?
Thank you for the replies.

If I am honest, I am really pissed that they gave me a "used" tractor. During the negotiations, there was no mention that we would be receiving an ex-demonstrator. I started the thread because I am new to the tractor world and I didn't know if I was being a big girl's blouse.

They are only open half a day on Saturdays and do not open Sundays so I will speak to them as soon as they open on Tuesday (Monday is a statutory holiday here).

I am really happy with the tractor - I spent some hours on it today and I am very impressed with it

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #22  
I'd be a little annoyed. If the tractor was still clean and new, then I'd press for a discount and a free 50 hour service. If there was any wear and tear, I'd ask them for a unit that had under 2 hours.

Long term, 31 hours is peanuts. But in the short term, it puts you awfully close to the 50 hour service.

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #23  
I agree in reality 31 hours equates to about a week of snow clearing if you have a long driveway BUT when you buy new you expect to get something with less than 3 hours on the tach. Anything more should be discounted especially the 50 hour service which will come in a couple of weeks of use when plowing snow daily. I would say keep it if you got a good deal which means not less than 15% off build your own prices from the website + a free 50 hour service guarantee.

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #24  
I can understand your frustration. I would be upset too. If you do intend to tell them to pick it up and give you another... I wouldn't put any time on it.

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #25  
31 hours may not sound like much to some here, but think about how much work you can get done in 31 hours with that tractor. Quite a bit huh?

However, STOP using it! you are giving the dealer countering ammo to use against you. Just make them come and get it and either give you a NEW tractor, or go elsewhere to a dealer that isn't trying to blow something past you like this one seems to be doing. Good luck!

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #26  
did you look at it when you bought it?

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #27  
The thing now is was the number of hours documented when you accepted delivery??? Was the 31hrs written down somewhere on your bill of sale or paperwork?? If not, then if the dealer is a bit on the shady side, he can say it had 1 hour on it when it was delivered, and you have since run it up to whatever it currently is, but there is no way to refute that. I would have to bring it up to the dealers attention, especially if all the negotiations were based on a new tractor at the MSRP. Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction!

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #28  
I didn't look my new tractor over till after the driver left with my trade-ins. All torques and fluids were up to stuff as I went thru the tractor & FEL manuals to become familiar. < 2hrs on the meter. (Not to be funny, but my biggest gripe is that controls, etc are so new and stiff.)

On principle, I suggest that indignation expressed tactfully and politely ought to be good for a freebie or at least the supplies for the 50 hr go-over. If you will depend on the seller for parts and service you'll want to see eye to eye sooner than later.

Not that it's any consolation, but I'd bet that a few of those on-site hrs were spent idling while .. the cab(?) heated up & the same might have happened with only a few (warmed up) 'demo drives'. Anyway, don't take that as an excuse if you can negotiate fair recompense. Good luck!

btw: Nice tractor, isn't it?

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #29  
Most mechanical hour counters are actually counters of revolutions. In other words if the tractor idles they run slower. They are acurate at PTO speed only. Electronic counters might count actual time of operation regardless of RPM. They might start counting when you turn ignition key on even when the engine is not running. Some machines have both.

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #30  
Since the dealer was dishonest, I would demand they replace it with a new unit, and give me a discount for lying to me. If you had discussed a demo unit, for a better price, it would be a different matter entirely. If they refuse, go to a different dealer....and file a complaint with their corporate headquarters, and any Canadian version of the better business burea.

Lets face it, you pay something of a premium when you buy a Kubota, so lying to you, and trying to sneak a used machine past you is even more egregious. My LS had 1.2hrs on the meter when it was unloaded.