What if a new tractor wasn't new?

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #31  
Let's be specific...

I went to a big AG show last week to buy a tractor. They were using tractors to pull the passenger trams. The dealer gave me two written quotes, one for brand new, and one for an under 35 hour gently used ( that is, one of the tram pullers ).

For the used he was going to replace fluids and filters (as in, early 50 hour maintenance) AND $1,000 discount off our negotiated price.

Absolutely clear before buying, and the choice was up to me.

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #32  
It wouldn't bother me since in the grand scheme of things it's not going to make a difference but I would get a 50 hour service done for free (actually I would just ask for all of the filters and fluids and do it myself). But you're not me and if it bothers you then I would stop using the tractor asap. It would be hard for the dealer to say you put 31 hours on it over the weekend but he could try. Since you didn't sign anything I don't think the dealer has much of a leg to stand on if you refuse the tractor. If the salesman is coming out this week I would ask him why it has so many hours on it.

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #33  
like its been said 30 hour isn't much, BUT if you negotiated for a new tractor that is what you should get. When I went to buy my first tractor I have always been partial to the green paint (my brother and I collect johnny poppers) but I was going to buy a Kubota because of the three range trans and so on, but when I went to the closest dealer (hour and a half drive) the salesmen took one look at me (I was 23) and pointed to the line up outside in the snow storm, said "that's what we got" went into his office and slammed the door. I drove across town to the JD dealership and walked out a couple hours later more than happy with my new tractor on order. How a dealership treats you makes a HUGE difference in my eyes. Still wish JD offered the three speed.

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #34  
like its been said 30 hour isn't much, BUT if you negotiated for a new tractor that is what you should get. When I went to buy my first tractor I have always been partial to the green paint (my brother and I collect johnny poppers) but I was going to buy a Kubota because of the three range trans and so on, but when I went to the closest dealer (hour and a half drive) the salesmen took one look at me (I was 23) and pointed to the line up outside in the snow storm, said "that's what we got" went into his office and slammed the door. I drove across town to the JD dealership and walked out a couple hours later more than happy with my new tractor on order. How a dealership treats you makes a HUGE difference in my eyes. Still wish JD offered the three speed.

The same thing can happen with JD -this thread almost sounds familiar Ouch! 19 hours on 3320 that was "ordered"?

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #35  
I didn't bother reading through everyone's responses, but I would not be very happy either if I was you. My "new" Massey had 10 hours on it already, and even that bugged me. When I buy and pay for something new, I want it to be new.

I would definitely create a stink at the dealership, and to be honest, I don't know that the 50 he service would be enough to please me. For me, if I knew that the tractor I was buying 31 hours, and they were selling it to me as new, & I would expect the 50 hour service to be covered. I feel like they were trying to pass off a demo machine on me at 31 hours, and if the price did not reflect that, and they did not disclose it at the time, I would expect the 50 and 300 hours services to be covered.

Maybe that's just me, but I would get everything you can out of it.

As an aside, just to be sure, are you certain that its not 3.1 hours, instead of 31?

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #36  
Wwhen I was negotiating for my new CC Yanmar, they had a demo with 51 hours on it. Yanmar requires they sell a demo @ 50 hours, or it becomes a used tractor. I bought it $6000 cheaper than a 0 hour, same warranty,0% finance.

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #37  
I was just going to state to make sure it was 31 hours and not 3.1. It's happened before.

Lawn mowers are bad, they tell you the battery voltage as you first start them, can't say the number of times someone threw a fit because their new mower had 12.5 hours on it what they started it.

If it is 31 hours, just ask the salesman before flipping out. Maybe it was an honest mistake?

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #38  
I suspect that the seller will say that the
hours on the tractor were figured into the sale price since it was a tractor that he had on hand. It is not necessarily right, but I can see it playing out that way. If you test drove the tractor before the sale, He is going to say that he assumed you were good with it before the purchase.

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #39  
I was just going to state to make sure it was 31 hours and not 3.1. It's happened before.

That is a very good point.

Another thing to consider is that these meters count time with the key on, even if the engine isn't running. It is entirely possible it spent a night (or two) with the key accidentally left on.

/ What if a new tractor wasn't new? #40  
Wwhen I was negotiating for my new CC Yanmar, they had a demo with 51 hours on it. Yanmar requires they sell a demo @ 50 hours, or it becomes a used tractor. I bought it $6000 cheaper than a 0 hour, same warranty,0% finance.

I bought a CC Yanmar with 5 hrs on it, the salesman said the boss told him to take it home for the weekend to learn the best points of the tractor. I did not object because Yanmar gives free 50 hr service and I got a great deal. But 5 hrs is far different than 30 hrs.