Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L4600

Default What if a new tractor wasn't new?

Hi all

We had our "new" kubota L4600 delivered by the dealer's delivery guy yesterday. He simply unloaded and drove off? He didn't ask us to sign anything and someone from the dealership is coming next week to give us a walk through of how the machine works.

When we started it up for the first time, I noted that it had 31 hours on it.

I suspect that the dealer has given us a demonstration model and not a brand new one. This was not discussed at the time of purchase and we have paid the full list price for the unit (OK, we didn't, but we purchased some implements and we negotiated a total price for al)l. However, at no time was any reduction discussed for us receiving an ex-demonstrator.

We have paid for remotes to be installed and for a front end loader. I cannot imagine for one minute that the installation of such items would have required the dealer to run the tractor for 30+ hours.

Am I correct and should I be refusing to accept a "used: tractor when I purchased a new one, or do I need to wind my neck and stop being such a baby?

As an aside, I have been getting to grips with the unit today and it has made clearing snow a piece of cake. Getting to grips with the FEL has been a steep learning curve, I just hope that my neighbours don't laugh to much if they are watching what I do!

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Default Re: What if a new tractor wasn't new?

Quote Originally Posted by almost canadian View Post
    Am I correct and should I be refusing to accept a "used: tractor when I purchased a new one, or do I need to wind my neck and stop being such a baby?
    You should refuse to accept it unless the dealer gives you price adjustment.

Tractor
    Bobcat ct 225

Quote Originally Posted by almost canadian View Post
    Hi all

We had our "new" kubota L4600 delivered by the dealer's delivery guy yesterday. He simply unloaded and drove off? He didn't ask us to sign anything and someone from the dealership is coming next week to give us a walk through of how the machine works.

When we started it up for the first time, I noted that it had 31 hours on it.

I suspect that the dealer has given us a demonstration model and not a brand new one. This was not discussed at the time of purchase and we have paid the full list price for the unit (OK, we didn't, but we purchased some implements and we negotiated a total price for al)l. However, at no time was any reduction discussed for us receiving an ex-demonstrator.

We have paid for remotes to be installed and for a front end loader. I cannot imagine for one minute that the installation of such items would have required the dealer to run the tractor for 30+ hours.

As an aside, I have been getting to grips with the unit today and it has made clearing snow a piece of cake. Getting to grips with the FEL has been a steep learning curve, I just hope that my neighbours don't laugh to much if they are watching what I do!
    Not sure where the cutoff is. 31 is a few hours .That may be half a season for some users. That means maybe, a dozen people tried it out or it was used around the shop. Sometimes they get a bit off on a demo. I don't know if this was the case with this tractor.I would think that a free or discounted first service or an extension to the warranty might be in order, but other than the fact that it bothers you, I doubt any harm has been done
    Last edited by MESSMAKER; 02-17-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened 310C, F915 & 5200

I bought a tractor as a rental return. It had 40 hours and the nubs still on the tires. Price was adjusted from list.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2013 JD 3005 1974 MF135

Mine had .8 hours on it when I signed papers at the dealer, and 1.8 by the time they loaded and set the tires wide... they put another hour on it when I took it back to have the loader installed a few weeks later. I say up to 5 hours should bring full price... 5 to 10 should get ya free 50 hour break-in service, and dramatically over 10 (like 31!) Should get you free 50 hr and 200 hr service as well as documentation to extend warranty by the hours, in this case, 31. Glad you like yer new tractor... hope they do ya some justus on the hours issue.
    Greg AKA DieselCrawler
    2013 JD 3005 4x4 w/loader
    1974 MF135 diesel (dad's)
    Trucks:
    1999 F250 4x4 7.3L diesel 6sp daily driver
    2000 F350 4x4, 7.3L diesel, auto, work truck
    2000 Excursion 4x4 7.3L diesel, wife's ride
    84 Chevy K-30 turbo diesel farm truck, play truck, one ton running gear, locked up, on 39.5" boggers,
    Redheaded wife, 6 kids, 11 rabbits, 4 horses/ponies, 4 cats, 3 dogs

Tractor
    Big & Small one :)

The first tractor I purchased new in 2008 was a kubota Grand L 4240 with cab. They had to get it from their dealer across the island. When they received it they installed the new snow blower on the back as I requested and the 3rd function valve.

When I went to view it, I turned the key on and I saw 21 hours
    To say I was unhappy would be an understatement. The dealer fessed up and told me they used the machine cleaning up around their dealership in the winter.
    I took it but they have me EVERYTHING to do the first 50 hour service so I was ok with that. It was a great tractor as well.
    I'm sure yours will be great but I'd go after them for those hours. You only got 20 more hours before your first 50 hour service.
    ...Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude...

Visit us on the web @ www.specialtyrepairs.ca

YouTube Video's: http://www.youtube.com/user/7863348?feature=guide

2011 Kubota 5740/854 FEL/L2674 Blower/Artic Angle blade with 3rd function set up,Rain Tracker Wiper system, custom built vertical exhaust,Grammer Air Ride Seat and other custom stuff
    2013 Kubota BX25D with many mods
    Kubota ZTR ZG 222 Z
    Custom Toyota Fork Lift

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Anything after 10 is used IMHO. Go for the free 50 hour parts and service with free pick up and delivery.
    Murph ------------

Silver Member
    Tractor
    NH 3050

A automobile driving 60 miles per hour after 30 hours would have 1800 miles on the odometer. Would you consider a automobile with 1800 miles brand new?

Tractor
    John Deere 4440

In the grand scheme of things it won't matter much but I would definitely raise a stink about it. If I am buying a new machine I expect it to have close to zero hours. Obviously it will have some time being moved around, tested, etc but that would be maybe five hours tops. Yours was either used by the dealer on the lot or worse was test drove by sixty people thirty minutes at a time. I would definitely want those hours added on to my warranty, a discount, and maybe a free 50 hr service.
    1980 John Deere 4440 with duals
    2006 John Deere 322 compact track loader

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

As I understand it, some (all?) kubota hour meters are based on operation at the engine RPMs specified for PTO operation. If that is the case for the tractor in question, it could have been used for considerably more than 31 hours. I would expect an additional discount.

Steve

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast