4520 or 3720 - need advice from those who have owned or operated both

/ 4520 or 3720 - need advice from those who have owned or operated both #1  

cathomps

Tractor
John Deere 3720
I have a 2008 3720 with 600 hours on it. The 3720 has R4 tires. I am looking to get a new tractor just to make sure I avoid any unexpected costs. My question is do I step up to the mid frsme 4020 series tractors? My biggest concern is will it be too big/heavy and create a lot more rutts and ground compaction?

Background....I live on the mid coast of Maine and have 10 acres. I also take my tractor a dozen times a year to my mom's place with 70 acres. I primarily use it for general grounds & forest upkeep. I have a 485 backhoe, harley rake, york rake, Wallenstien BX65 hydraulic chipper, 6' rotary cutter, forks and posthole digger. I also have a JD 2305 with 54"mower, front snowblower and bucket.

The ground here has a thin layer of topsoil and then clay. The clay is like a tarp under the soil which prevents water from draining. Even when you think the ground should be dry it is often still very squishy and driving a tractor over it creates ruts, especially on anything resembling a lawn. Often times I am not working "on the lawn" but I need to get "across the lawn" to get to a field to mow or tree to chip.

I consider myself an expert operator and the 3720 has stunned me with how versitile and capable it is. I am thinking about a larger tractor primarily because I could lift more and have a more stable stance. I do not do a lot of loader work but always seem to be trying to lift a rock or piece of equipment that's just out of reach of the 3720 hydraulics.

So here's the question....I know the 4520 is about 800 lbs heavier. I also think it has larger, wider tires. What guidance can anyone provide on how the 4520 compares to the 3720 with respect to rutting, ground disturbance, turning sod into mud etc? Does the extra weight make it worse or is the weight effectively neutralized by the larger, wider tires?

Having the 2305 also has been huge because I can do smaller things with it with less ground disturbance but it can't run the rotary cutter, harley rake or chipper and I do a LOT of chipping.

Chuck

/ 4520 or 3720 - need advice from those who have owned or operated both #2  
in reading your post, it reminds me of the 3720 i had...it was so impressive and always did what i asked of it with ease. the only thing that bothered me was it seemed a bit top heavy with the cab. i now have a 4720; its much more stable on hills and ruts and a can move about a bit faster because it does not bounce as much as the 3720 did. at first i really noticed the difference but like everything else, im use to it now and seems the bigger the tractor the more you tend to push it - meaning the 4720 is probably not as stable as a 5xxx model. the 4720 has a large motor - larger than many 5 series so it never works very hard...good if you plan to keep it a long time. btw, i have added two sets of rear weights to the rims.

/ 4520 or 3720 - need advice from those who have owned or operated both
9973720wb19....thanks for the note. I agree that the 3720 at times seems tippy when lifting heavier loads. I really take it slow and keep whatever is on the back 3 point hitch really low.

So just to push the issue...I'm not worried about the 4520's maneuverability or it feeling big. I am worried that because of the extra weight it might have a much bigger tendency to create ruts, tire marks, etc in the lawn (I would get it with the R4's not turf tires, they just are not good in mud or have the sidewall strength when in the woods) am I correct or do the larger tires compensate for the extra weight.

/ 4520 or 3720 - need advice from those who have owned or operated both #4  
I haven't used a 3720 but I have used my 4520 with R4 tires for four years on lawn areas. I don't think the rutting would be much different using a tractor that weighs 800 lbs more with the increase in tire patch. I am set up very similar to you in that I have an x749 for lawn work and light 3ph work and the 4520 for the larger tasks. I do keep the heavier tractors and stuff off the lawn areas as much as I can. In your case as you already know you have to pick your days to work.

/ 4520 or 3720 - need advice from those who have owned or operated both #5  
9973720wb19....thanks for the note. I agree that the 3720 at times seems tippy when lifting heavier loads. I really take it slow and keep whatever is on the back 3 point hitch really low.

So just to push the issue...I'm not worried about the 4520's maneuverability or it feeling big. I am worried that because of the extra weight it might have a much bigger tendency to create ruts, tire marks, etc in the lawn (I would get it with the R4's not turf tires, they just are not good in mud or have the sidewall strength when in the woods) am I correct or do the larger tires compensate for the extra weight.

I don't mow with my 4720, I use a JD WAM 1600. I can tell you though I bring my 4720 with R4s (and rear weights) through the back yard in the same path all summer and I have never had any ruts develop. I think ruts are more related to ground conditions

/ 4520 or 3720 - need advice from those who have owned or operated both #6  
I don't know what the 3720 is, but I can agree with others, my 4520 is tippie. I am very careful when picking up heavy loads. I keep them as low as possible. I picked up a rather large stump last week and while moving forward the rear tire dropped into a hole the stump had made and thought for sure I was going over on my side. What saved me was dropping the forks in a hurry. I think I would like that tractor more if it had two more feet of width.

/ 4520 or 3720 - need advice from those who have owned or operated both
I don't know what the 3720 is, but I can agree with others, my 4520 is tippie. I am very careful when picking up heavy loads. I keep them as low as possible. I picked up a rather large stump last week and while moving forward the rear tire dropped into a hole the stump had made and thought for sure I was going over on my side. What saved me was dropping the forks in a hurry. I think I would like that tractor more if it had two more feet of width.

The 3720 is a mid frame CUT from John Deere. The 3720 has the largest HP in the series (44) but all 3X20's have the same hydraulic capacity. Mine is an open station.

Sounds like some of the 4x20 series owners dont think the rutting is a big problem. I am leaning towards the larger tractor. I really do have to pick my days to get across the lawn. Mud season is almost here in Maine. Another month and the ground will not be frozen. Sometimes it seems like July before things dry out.