New tractor - any tier 4 issues (DEF, etc)?

/ New tractor - any tier 4 issues (DEF, etc)? #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I started shopping for a new tractor yesterday - 30HP cab with all the trimmings. Kubota's B3000 w/ factory cab is now replaced with an integral cab model, the B3350. The primary difference between the two (other than the integral cab) is the 3350's engine is tier 4-compliant. It is the same engine, but with a DPF, or Diesel Particulate Filter, added to it. They also bumped the HP rating 10%, but that doesn't necessarly mean it is producing any more power - they do tend to up the HP ratings over time for a given engine.

It does appear that the price increase from last-year's similarly equipped B3000 to this years tier 4 B3350 is in the $4000 range. This might put me into the used market - it will be VERY tough for me to swallow paying $4000 for a muffler and a tank of pee.

I hate the idea of having to keep my tractor filled with pee. Apparently however, I have no choice, unless I go used - which I just might if the new stuff is problematic. Please educate me on any issues, concerns, reliability issues, advantages, and anything else you can tell me regarding the new DPF.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / New tractor - any tier 4 issues (DEF, etc)? #2  
*I hate the idea of having to keep my tractor filled with pee.* LOL

Drink more beer.:laughing:

/ New tractor - any tier 4 issues (DEF, etc)? #3  
I don't know for sure if the new tractors have it or not but if they do I would get an older one that doesn't. Those systems are nothing but trouble.

/ New tractor - any tier 4 issues (DEF, etc)? #4  
So how hard would it be to remove the extra muffler and restroom? Is there a computer that de-powers things like they have on trucks?

/ New tractor - any tier 4 issues (DEF, etc)? #5  
There's no urea on these small tractors. Just the problematic DPF and EGR.
I see problems surfacing on the forums already and my local dealer stocked up and brought in mostly B2650's because of all the dpf related problems they are seeing.
I'm sure it will get better, I see Cummins and Deere already have come up with engines that meet the emissions requirements and have NO DPF or EGR. So hopefully they are on to something that will become more industry wide.

/ New tractor - any tier 4 issues (DEF, etc)? #6  
I started shopping for a new tractor yesterday - 30HP cab with all the trimmings. Kubota's B3000 w/ factory cab is now replaced with an integral cab model, the B3350. The primary difference between the two (other than the integral cab) is the 3350's engine is tier 4-compliant. It is the same engine, but with a DPF, or Diesel Particulate Filter, added to it. They also bumped the HP rating 10%, but that doesn't necessarly mean it is producing any more power - they do tend to up the HP ratings over time for a given engine.

It does appear that the price increase from last-year's similarly equipped B3000 to this years tier 4 B3350 is in the $4000 range. This might put me into the used market - it will be VERY tough for me to swallow paying $4000 for a muffler and a tank of pee.

I hate the idea of having to keep my tractor filled with pee. Apparently however, I have no choice, unless I go used - which I just might if the new stuff is problematic. Please educate me on any issues, concerns, reliability issues, advantages, and anything else you can tell me regarding the new DPF.

I would avoid Tier 4 if possible... there are still a few new Tier 3's around if you look hard enough. Might have to drive a bit or party for shipping, but they're there.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / New tractor - any tier 4 issues (DEF, etc)? #7  
Everyone claims they're 'problematic' and says to stay away but I've yet to hear a single person come forward with a problem. Most everyone I know running tier 4 equipment says it's a non issue. Expensive? Yes. Complicated? Sure, a little. Expensive? Absolutely. Are these things broke down all the time? No way. They've had dpf's and egr for a few years now on larger machines and over the road trucks. Def tanks are on pretty much every new fleet trucks you see. If they were such a huge issue there would be a revolution underway right now. I do business with a guy who bought 15 Mack dump trucks 3 years ago. Full blown emmissions engines. Not a single issue with any of them. My brother runs Deere and Cat equipment and says you don't even know when it goes into regen except for the computer tellng you.

Bottom line is, until someone steps up with a REAL story about ACTUAL problems with this stuff, I'm not buyin' it. Sure, I wish we didn't have to deal with it, but it's here. People need to stop spreading false info about how bad it makes owning these machines. It's really not a whole lot different.

/ New tractor - any tier 4 issues (DEF, etc)? #8  
One more point.... There are people claiming that tier 4 is actually better than tier 3. With tier 4, they let the engine make the power and run like it wants to and is meant to and just treat the exhaust instead of messing with the engine. Optimize the motor for horsepower or efficiency and worry about the emissions at the stack. Ask any CaseIH guy about this.

/ New tractor - any tier 4 issues (DEF, etc)? #9  
Everyone claims they're 'problematic' and says to stay away but I've yet to hear a single person come forward with a problem. Most everyone I know running tier 4 equipment says it's a non issue. Expensive? Yes. Complicated? Sure, a little. Expensive? Absolutely. Are these things broke down all the time? No way. They've had dpf's and egr for a few years now on larger machines and over the road trucks. Def tanks are on pretty much every new fleet trucks you see. If they were such a huge issue there would be a revolution underway right now. I do business with a guy who bought 15 Mack dump trucks 3 years ago. Full blown emmissions engines. Not a single issue with any of them. My brother runs Deere and Cat equipment and says you don't even know when it goes into regen except for the computer tellng you.

Bottom line is, until someone steps up with a REAL story about ACTUAL problems with this stuff, I'm not buyin' it. Sure, I wish we didn't have to deal with it, but it's here. People need to stop spreading false info about how bad it makes owning these machines. It's really not a whole lot different.
When I say that I would avoid it, it is because of the ridiculous added cost. Not just at the time of purchase, but down the road (potentially) for added maintenance. Yes, eventually they will ALL have them. But, we're at a moment where folks can still grab the last of the Tier3's and enjoy the savings. That's what I just did anyhow.

So, when you say "I'm not buyin' it" ... yeah, my sentiments exactly!

/ New tractor - any tier 4 issues (DEF, etc)? #10  
I had the same thought in mind as nspec - lots of people saying Tier IV tractors have nightmarish problems but I have not yet seen one person here say he just spent the rumored $5,000+ to replace a DPF. One thing is that won't happen for at least 5 years because that is the required minimum warranty (smaller engines with shorter emission warranty requirements do not have urea or DPFs). In 5 years will there be problems? Hope not because I bought one of the first ones available.