Metal Shavings

/ Metal Shavings #1  

APherigo

Tractor
Ford 1310
My Ford 1310 had metal shavings in the hydraulic oil filter. Is it normal to have some metal shavings or is it time to look for antoher tractor? Transmission, PTO, etc seem to be working fine? How do I tell when some metal shavings are too many?

/ Metal Shavings #2  
A few shavings are normal especially the first few times. How many hours are on the tractor? Is this the first time you've changed the filter? How much were there?

Answer some of these questions and I'm sure we'll be able to tell you if it's a problem or just normal stuff.

/ Metal Shavings
I just bought the tractor a few months ago. Total metal shavings were about a tablespoonfull. Its a 1985 model with 600 hours on the meter. It could be 600 hours or 1600 hours, it only has a three digit meter. I havn't run it much yet to determine the rate of shaving accumulation since I've changed the filter.

/ Metal Shavings #4  
I would be willing to bet that the oil has never been changed. When you read here, you would think that everyone changes the fluids at the scheduled intervals, but they don't. From working on tractors for a while, I can tell you that most or maybe I should say a lot of tractors never have their tranny fluid changed unless there is some kind of failure. What I would do is run it a while and then change the fluid again. Then you will be able to tell if the chips are from a problem or whether the tranny fluid was never changed to start with.

/ Metal Shavings #5  
Jerry, your advice is "right on." I might go so far as to say that some tractor owners don't even check the fluid level in the transmission unless something goes wrong. It's probably not as common on newer tractors that come with owner manuals and warranties, but when I was searching for tractors about 10 years ago, every tractor I looked at had low fluid levels in the transmission, even the one I finally bought.

/ Metal Shavings #6  
I've heard somewhere the total amount to be of a dime or quarter one is acceptable wear with no shavings of large size or any large chrome shavings. Most of tractor shavings probaly come from the gears, hydralic pump wear metal,and first starting out with cold engine/fluids in cool temps.

/ Metal Shavings
A dime or quarter size makes me feel better. I originally thought ANY shavings were too many. I guess I'll keep the 1310 for awhile longer and see how it goes. Thanks all for the help.