3 pt Backhoe

/ 3 pt Backhoe #1  

ZFish

Tractor
snapper
was doing some reading on here and came across a post about 3 pt back hoe's are the worst thing for the back of a machine. Is this true? They were saying that for example digging stumps out or large rocks it may cause the tractor to move around and I guess this is bad? I dont know Im asking. If I was to buy one it would prob be like a 30-40hp tractor I would love to say Kubota but I think im more in the price range of the LS R3039 or the Kioti CK Mods.

/ 3 pt Backhoe #2  
If I understand correctly, you have not yet purchased a tractor. I know with both the Kubota and Kioti brands you can get a backhoe frame mount for the tractor. I don't know anything about the LS brand but I am sure they would offer the same features as the other leading brands. Consult you tractor dealer about frame mounts for a backhoe.

My dealer told me the issue with three point backhoe mounts are the bilateral forces a backhoe would apply. I do not have any personal experience but the dealer's explanation made sense so I bought the frame mount for my backhoe.

/ 3 pt Backhoe #3  
Without an additional sub-frame to distribute the load, a backhoe can generate enough stress to literally break the tractor in half. Also, the 3-point alone is not a rigid connection so additional bracing is required in any case which makes a sub-frame backhoe easier to connect.

/ 3 pt Backhoe
Good point . I talked with the ls dealer today and He said that they do have the sub frame.the funny part was I talked ta two different dealer about 3 different models and one guy totally contradict the other

/ 3 pt Backhoe #6  
I have a 3 pt back hoe and have used it for 20 years with no problems so what you are hearing is a sales pitch,,I have dug trenches ,moved huge stones and dug out numerus stumps,,and on occasion have dug thru 12 to 15 inches of frost
Its very easy to install,, put the bucket down ,,set the brakes and dig away,,

/ 3 pt Backhoe #7  
I recommend a backhoe with a sub frame mounting over a 3ph mounted backhoe. The sub frame does a much better job distributing the forces over the entire tractor. I can't think of any real backhoe that uses a 3ph mounting and with good reason it isn't durable enough.

/ 3 pt Backhoe #8  
I have had my 3PH back hoe first on my IH-444 (12 years) and the past 13 years on my Kubota L-4610. It goes on quickly either cat 1 or 2. Very importantly is the heavy link chain that you hook down and onto the tractor draw-bar. Once parked in position you use the Hoe's stabilizers to lift the tractors main wheels/ tires clear of the ground. Your Back Hoe lifts the tractor via that heavy logging chain. Most any hoe you see frame mount Case 580s or JD will do the same but with out the need of the chain. This action distributes the load on the 3PH. (Protect the tension on the center link) (The lower lift arms are then relieved of most lifting forces) It seems to me that once something is written on the WEB it takes on a life of its own being repeated and repeated. The guy who "broke his tractor in half" I hope he is on here and can explain how that was accomplished.

Is a "frame mount" better, imo yes. I realize some of the frame mounts are pretty quick to unhitch but a 3PH is also very quick and is also a very viable Back Hoe. All Hoes can put large dynamic forces/ stress on themselves and the tractor. They all will move in reaction to those forces. Those that have actually broken a tractor can do us all a favor and let us know how it was done? Now the guy who actually broke one..... We need YOUR input!

Last edited:
   / 3 pt Backhoe #9  
Good point . I talked with the ls dealer today and He said that they do have the sub frame.the funny part was I talked ta two different dealer about 3 different models and one guy totally contradict the other

Well, whoever said that LS offers a subframe mount was correct. I've come to the conclusion that lots of tractor sales people don't really know much about tractors...regardless of brand!

/ 3 pt Backhoe
Great responds guys! When I was talking bout the contradiction of the other I was talking about how they phased models out. Like my original interest was The LS R3039 with the FEL and Backhoe. the one guy said they were replaced with a xr series and the other guy sad they were replacing them with a larger r series. So honestly I dont know. Like I said in my intro I no nothing of these tractors. Im hear to learn and ask questions from the professional that live and breath these machines everyday.Right now im doing home work and checking them out. I like the LS for the reason of what they offer dollar wise. seams like the best bang for my buck.