Oil & Fuel New member- stupid mistake- need advice

/ New member- stupid mistake- need advice #1  

cluckmaster

Tractor
IH 574
Hello all- I'm new to the site, and need some help. I just bought a 1977 IH 574 with a 2250 loader today and after a long haul home, got it unloaded and realized it needed some fuel. Drove down to the gas station, picked up five gallons of diesel, hopped up on the front tire, and started pouring in the diesel. Only got about maybe an eighth to quarter of a gallon in before it overflowed, which I thought was odd, but put the fill cap back on and fired her up. Then all of a sudden it clicked in my head that the fuel tank and fill cap is BEHIND THE SEAT on this tractor. Panic set in immediately as I rushed to check the manual to see where I had dumped the fuel. Turns out the coolant fill hole is on the hood, so that's where the diesel went. I ran the tractor for maybe 15 seconds before realizing my stupid mistake. I'm used to running tractors with the fuel cap on the hood, so it was just habit, but dumb, dumb, dumb.

SO....will diesel in the coolant system hurt anything? Do I need to drain the whole thing and refill with fresh? Do you think any damage was done in the time I ran it? Thanks for any info... I talked to a farmer buddy of mine who said he did not think it was a big deal, but want to get some additional opinions. THANKS!

Josh

/ New member- stupid mistake- need advice #2  
Drain it before anything else. Diesel does a job on parts needing lubrication. Maybe your radiator fluid lubricated things well enough.

Are you sure this is a diesel tractor- look it up.

/ New member- stupid mistake- need advice
Drain it before anything else. Diesel does a job on parts needing lubrication. Maybe your radiator fluid lubricated things well enough.

Are you sure this is a diesel tractor- look it up.

Yeah- it's definitely a diesel. I got that much right anyway hahaha. I run a 97 12 valve Cummins and my wife drives a 05 diesel Jetta wagon so I figure this keeps it simple!

/ New member- stupid mistake- need advice #5  
IH 574 had two engines. A 3.3L gas and a 3.9L diesel according to TractorData.com
Make sure which one you have or you may end up draining the fuel lines too.

I see you already know its diesel. beat my post by 5 minutes

/ New member- stupid mistake- need advice
THanks for the welcomes and relpies- I'll drain it and refill tomorrow before I put her to work. Lots to do!

/ New member- stupid mistake- need advice #8  
i doubt you hurt it

drain the coolant, flush.. refill/ and go...

/ New member- stupid mistake- need advice #9  
I would put a hose in and the oil will come out the top,this would get most of oil out. It might be a little messy to clean up,if you leave it in when coolant gets hot it will stink diesel. Worked for tractor dealer and the week-end warriors would often do this as well as water in fuel,gas in diesel you name it they do it.
Whitepine2

/ New member- stupid mistake- need advice #10  
If you didn't run it any longer than that, likely the thermostat (assuming it still has one) didn't open and you can just drain the radiator without having to flush the whole system. I think I would just pull the lower radiator hose and drain out what ever comes out then refill with fresh coolant.