Tractor Insurance

/ Tractor Insurance #1  

chrissheerman

Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB - John Deere 2520 - Allis charlmers D14
Hi everyone

Alright heres whats going on I have a 2007 john deere 110 TLB that I purchased for myself and to do side jobs to help pay for it. Last year I stopped doing side jobs dropped my commercial rip off insurace on it ( $1400 a year ). I have now bought a 12 acre piece of land that I plan to do what I originally wanted the tractor for save me money as I build a house. The Land is 12 miles away from where I live and I want to get insurance to cover it if a tree falls on it or if someone finds where I hide it and feels it would be fun to trash it. I talked to my insurance company after work today and they were trying to scare me into buying the big liability policy again because I said yes I would help my neighbor if they asked and I'd also be bringing it back to my parents house if my dad needed the backhoe or my bigger loader for some project he might be working on. They said if it just stayed at my property the home owners insurance would cover it. I really wanted to go off on these morons but cant because I have a decent priced auto policy thru them. Really wanted to point out the fact that there no home owners insurance because I haven't built a **** house yet!!
Anyways now that i've had my rant. sorry by the way. Can any of you fine folks suggest a insurance that might be helpful to me. Thanks very much.
:us-newhampshire:

/ Tractor Insurance #2  
Looks like your case doesn't fit the "formula" so you are probably out of luck. Generally, it's difficult for a property owner to insure a construction site that he isn't living on. The insurance companies are probably right in assuming there is a high risk of theft or vandalism involved. I know that's the case around here (Central Maine).

While building our house (I was my own prime contractor), we had about $1,000 worth of tools stolen one day. We found out later that the culprit was the plumber's druggie helper. The plumber made good for the loss. There have been several others who have lost tools or materials from their projects.

My suggestion is to insure yourself. Take all the precautions you can and try to keep a few thousand in the bank to cover potential loss. You can probably pay for a couple of hits yourself for less money than what the insurance company will extort from you. After you have moved into the property, you can cover some risks with a homeowners policy.

/ Tractor Insurance
Thanks. Im not really woried about tools I won't be leaving them there. I just wanted to cover the tractor in case a storm makes a tree fall on it or someone messes with it. I hide it out in the woods so you would have to go out and find it but still some noisy person could stop to see what I'm up to and follow the tire tracks out into the woods.

/ Tractor Insurance #4  
I think if you have the property insured that it should cover the tractor on that property just like homeowners does. I have been thinking about a policy myself because I like to take the tractor out and pickup loads of firewood. All I would want to do is to insure it when it's off of my property and on the trailer I am not worried about liability because I don't go to strangers houses mostly people that I know and not very often. I have been watching these type of questions here and most of the time people talk about an inland marine policy I am not sure what it is yet because I haven't looked or gone to the insurance company yet.

/ Tractor Insurance #5  
well, a tree falling on a tractor probably really wont be covered under standard homeowners policy. A farm/ranch policy is different. I had my ins agent tell me mine was covered... until i had him really check into it. He called me 3 days later with the update. NOPE. not covered. A tractor needed whats called an inland marine policy to cover it.

Things liker Jewelry, guns, etc arnt covered under a homeowners policy. just a fact of life. Your homeowners policy will cover any damage the tractor does to the property but will not cover the tractor itself.

And no mater what you get, once it leaves the property lines...ITS NOT COVERED.

to leave the property you HAVE to have commercial coverage.

/ Tractor Insurance #6  
This once again show the wide variation in homeowner policies. I have State Farm and as long as I'm on my property the tractor is covered same as my house. No reason to take my tractor off property - all my neighbors are farmers also and have their own tractors.

---- and the day came when they fought like warrior-poets and won their FREEDOM ----

/ Tractor Insurance #7  
This once again show the wide variation in homeowner policies. I have State Farm and as long as I'm on my property the tractor is covered same as my house. No reason to take my tractor off property - all my neighbors are farmers also and have their own tractors.

---- and the day came when they fought like warrior-poets and won their FREEDOM ----

my state farm home policy was the one that said...nope. They told me farm and ranch policies do, but are mucho $$$$. it was cheaper to add rider to cover it. my COMMERCIAL full coverage policy ($250 deductable) is under $300/year

also as an example, he told me if i was hauling it on trailer and had accident, any damage tractor caused WOULD be covered, but not any damage to the tractor itself. not without an rider policy

After i had them do in depth research, i found out that even though the agent thought it was covered, it wasnt. They say high dollar items like top end cameras, expensive art and jewelry, etc need additional coverage. many require appraisals and photos to substantiate a claim. Standard homeowners policy wont cover.

with me, i didnt fight it or wish to check any further cause i HAD to get a commercial policy cause i plow other peoples driveways. I may be hauling it to jobsites in future also.

/ Tractor Insurance #8  
I have American Family Insurance on my CT235 and it costs me $20.00 a month. It's full coverage insurance, covering me and the tractor as long as I'm NOT doing any work for someone else. I do some mowing in the summer for others, (not much) and a little bit of snow removal in the winter. So I just have to be careful working for others. Between my house and the job I am covered on the road, theft, hail, etc. Just not property damage working for others. If you are doing any close work for someone else, (where something might get damaged) you might want to have an agreement that you are not responsible for the damage. No agreement/ no work. JP

/ Tractor Insurance #9  
I have American Family Insurance on my CT235 and it costs me $20.00 a month. It's full coverage insurance, covering me and the tractor as long as I'm NOT doing any work for someone else. I do some mowing in the summer for others, (not much) and a little bit of snow removal in the winter. So I just have to be careful working for others. Between my house and the job I am covered on the road, theft, hail, etc. Just not property damage working for others. If you are doing any close work for someone else, (where something might get damaged) you might want to have an agreement that you are not responsible for the damage. No agreement/ no work. JP

hate to break your bubble, but a person cannot give up his right to sue you with a written agreement.... those thing dont hold up in court. We try that with our horse shows and carriage driving events all the time, and when push comes to shove they wont hold up in a court of law.

Bottom line is GET INSURANCE if you plan on doing work off your property. And the sucky thing is, you dont even need to charge money to get sued. Even if you work for free some jackwad can sue you.

you hear about the guy suing the people that pulled him out of a submerged car??? ****, you try and save someone and they have the balls to sue you.

Ungrateful man suing rescuers who saved his life