Oil & Fuel Engine Oil in transmissions ??

/ Engine Oil in transmissions ?? #1  

CurtisJ71

Tractor
Allis 5050, JD 1050
I just purchased an Allis Fiat 5050. Before starting to use it, I wanted to replace all the fluids, it's been sitting idle for months. I got the operators manual today, and under engine oil it says Multi-viscosity "Allis-Chalmers Power Lube 15-40. I'm using Rotella 15-40, and have been for years, so no problem there. But what is really confusing me, is that under Transmission & Hydraulic Oil, it also says to use "Allis-Chalmers Power Lube 15-40. Have I been around automatic transmissions to long :confused:? Does it seem right to use engine oil in the transmission and hydraulics systems ???

/ Engine Oil in transmissions ?? #2  
I'm thinking typo? Dang, I'd want to triple-check that with some experts before proceeding.

/ Engine Oil in transmissions ?? #3  
My Scag ZTR calls for 20-50 motor oil in the hydro and that is what I use.

/ Engine Oil in transmissions ?? #4  
Engine oil makes excellent hydraulic oil except for one thing - it is very expensive in comparison. Don't be afraid to use it. The company I retired from - yellow machines, start with Cat..., actually ships some machines to high ambient temp dealers (Middle East) filled with 15W-40 and all of the medium and small equipment lines specify 15W-40 in ambient temperatures exceeding 104 Fahrenheit (40 Celsius).

/ Engine Oil in transmissions ?? #5  
Several older tractors used 10w30 or 15w40 in engine and hydraulics. I think I even read some older Skid steers did as well. Makes life easier when you can just buy a couple 5 gallon buckets of it to keep around.

/ Engine Oil in transmissions ?? #6  
I've got an older JD mower with a transaxle that takes 10W30. Works great.

/ Engine Oil in transmissions ?? #7  
A friend of mine had a 5050 years ago which I use to operate on occasion. One of the things I liked the most was the 12 sp transmission which had several gears below 2 mph, this would make a good tractor for operating a rototiller. The hydraulic fluid capacity was limited but don't remember the exact amount. Hope the tractor works out for you.

/ Engine Oil in transmissions ?? #8  
I too would like the answer to this.
I just purchased an Allis Fiat 5050. Before starting to use it, I wanted to replace all the fluids, it's been sitting idle for months. I got the operators manual today, and under engine oil it says Multi-viscosity "Allis-Chalmers Power Lube 15-40. I'm using Rotella 15-40, and have been for years, so no problem there. But what is really confusing me, is that under Transmission & Hydraulic Oil, it also says to use "Allis-Chalmers Power Lube 15-40. Have I been around automatic transmissions to long :confused:? Does it seem right to use engine oil in the transmission and hydraulics systems ???

/ Engine Oil in transmissions ?? #9  
I had a JD that spec'ed 10w30 in the motor and hydraulics. I am no expect but 15w40 would seem a little heavy for most conditions as hydraulic oil.

/ Engine Oil in transmissions ?? #10  
Using motor in transmissions with copper, brass and bronze avoids the sulphur corrosion that GL-5 can cause.