Chains Wrong Chains?

/ Wrong Chains? #1  

mtputney

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 110TLB
Living on a snowy mountain top we had chains put on our Deere 110TLB this Winter. But we are wondering if something is wrong with our new chains. The tractor doesn't seem to have much more traction than without them. This seems because most of the chains are below the treads on the Ag tires (see attached picture).

Is it possible that: 1) these are the wrong chains?, the wrong size?, put on wrong?

Thanks for any help.
:confused:

Attachments

• Tires Chains.jpg
    Tires Chains.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 422
   / Wrong Chains? #2  
Living on a snowy mountain top we had chains put on our Deere 110TLB this Winter. But we are wondering if something is wrong with our new chains. The tractor doesn't seem to have much more traction than without them. This seems because most of the chains are below the treads on the Ag tires (see attached picture).

Is it possible that: 1) these are the wrong chains?, the wrong size?, put on wrong?

Thanks for any help.
:confused:
It could be because you have the chains too tight. Take off any side tensioners and see if traction improves. They also look a little small in the link size if I'm judging the picture correctly. They should be at least a 3/8" link for your size tire.

/ Wrong Chains? #3  
You are right - you are not gaining much there.
You really need the chains to sit on top of the lugs like this H pattern chain set

Tractor2.JPG

Your picture doesn't show enough to see what changes you could make. They could be to long allowing the two main circumference chains to zig zag between the lugs instead of staying on top but need a bigger picture to tell much.

/ Wrong Chains? #4  
Loosen them up. I was running v-bar duo's like the picture of your chains (Same chain with ice cleats on them) and my R-1's would hide most of the links. My first solution was to increase the number of patterns on the tire. that didn't help much. It actually raised the heigh of the side chains and makes them walk a little bit. Next thing was I ditched the tensioners and only tighten the chains hand tight. It made a large difference. Actually you should have gotten some Aquiline talons of teffsdale tire chains. They have continuous loop of chain that rides across the tops of all the lugs. Hindsight is 20-20 though!

/ Wrong Chains? #5  
Short answer to your question is yes there are other styles that will not fall between the lugs. Try loosening them up. Just be careful not to do damage to your fenders.

/ Wrong Chains? #6  
Loose chains mitigate the "falling between the lugs" syndrome almost completely. If one is on ice, this could present a small problem however if one is in the woods skidding, or in several inches of snow you will benefit with chains grabbing at first ground contact. I have the simplest chain (4 link ladder) on my ags with deeper thread than on a industrial. If you look at them, you think they'll do nothing as there they are between lugs on top of the tire. However the bottom is another story. They are loose with no tensioners and the chains make first contact. Every tire print in snow or soft dirt shows the indentation of the chain predominantly.

/ Wrong Chains? #7  
Industrial tires not Ag looks like to me. R4 not R1

/ Wrong Chains? #8  
ENC, yep he's definitely running R4s.

Loosen the chains all you can without them falling off. Then they'll squirm around more and stay out of the lugs. I'm guessing if you checked the side bars with them as in the picture, they would be extremely tight.

I run 2-link straight crossbar chains on my Grader with Micheln Radials. If I install them as tight as I can they crawl between the lugs and lose efficiency. If I run them loose they work fine.

/ Wrong Chains?
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Thankfully, the dealer agrees that the Tru-Grid chains are no good and will take them back.

Will revisit this issue next Fall and make sure to order the correct chains for our R1 17.5 x 24.