Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Deere 110TLB

Default Wrong Chains?

Living on a snowy mountain top we had chains put on our Deere 110TLB this Winter. But we are wondering if something is wrong with our new chains. The tractor doesn't seem to have much more traction than without them. This seems because most of the chains are below the treads on the Ag tires (see attached picture).

Is it possible that: 1) these are the wrong chains?, the wrong size?, put on wrong?

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -tires-chains-jpg  

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Default Re: Wrong Chains?

Quote Originally Posted by mtputney View Post
    Living on a snowy mountain top we had chains put on our Deere 110TLB this Winter. But we are wondering if something is wrong with our new chains. The tractor doesn't seem to have much more traction than without them. This seems because most of the chains are below the treads on the Ag tires (see attached picture).

Is it possible that: 1) these are the wrong chains?, the wrong size?, put on wrong?

Thanks for any help.
    It could be because you have the chains too tight. Take off any side tensioners and see if traction improves. They also look a little small in the link size if I'm judging the picture correctly. They should be at least a 3/8" link for your size tire.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

You are right - you are not gaining much there.
    You really need the chains to sit on top of the lugs like this H pattern chain set

-tractor2-jpg

Your picture doesn't show enough to see what changes you could make. They could be to long allowing the two main circumference chains to zig zag between the lugs instead of staying on top but need a bigger picture to tell much.
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MWFD, Kubota L3400 HST

Loosen them up. I was running v-bar duo's like the picture of your chains (Same chain with ice cleats on them) and my R-1's would hide most of the links. My first solution was to increase the number of patterns on the tire. that didn't help much. It actually raised the heigh of the side chains and makes them walk a little bit. Next thing was I ditched the tensioners and only tighten the chains hand tight. It made a large difference. Actually you should have gotten some Aquiline talons of teffsdale tire chains. They have continuous loop of chain that rides across the tops of all the lugs. Hindsight is 20-20 though!
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR),

'01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    '95 CR 500
    FIL-JD 4020; Ford 9600,5000

Short answer to your question is yes there are other styles that will not fall between the lugs. Try loosening them up. Just be careful not to do damage to your fenders.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Loose chains mitigate the "falling between the lugs" syndrome almost completely. If one is on ice, this could present a small problem however if one is in the woods skidding, or in several inches of snow you will benefit with chains grabbing at first ground contact. I have the simplest chain (4 link ladder) on my ags with deeper thread than on a industrial. If you look at them, you think they'll do nothing as there they are between lugs on top of the tire. However the bottom is another story. They are loose with no tensioners and the chains make first contact. Every tire print in snow or soft dirt shows the indentation of the chain predominantly.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4600

Industrial tires not Ag looks like to me. R4 not R1

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

ENC, yep he's definitely running R4s.

Loosen the chains all you can without them falling off. Then they'll squirm around more and stay out of the lugs. I'm guessing if you checked the side bars with them as in the picture, they would be extremely tight.

I run 2-link straight crossbar chains on my Grader with Micheln Radials. If I install them as tight as I can they crawl between the lugs and lose efficiency. If I run them loose they work fine.
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Tractor
    Deere 110TLB

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Thankfully, the dealer agrees that the Tru-Grid chains are no good and will take them back.

Will revisit this issue next Fall and make sure to order the correct chains for our R1 17.5 x 24.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

go to http://www.tirechain.com/TractorChainmenu.htm and look at the 2 link ladder series. they will work on your tires just fine. I have R4's with them and traction is phenomenal .-_mg_5487-jpg
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast