Allis Chalmers One-Sixty 3 pt won't lift

/ Allis Chalmers One-Sixty 3 pt won't lift #1  

AaronS

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4046HC, New Holland Boomer 1020
Hi all. We have an old One-Sixty that came with the purchase of our small farm. I learned this morning that it was built in France around the same time I was born and online reviews seem overall good. Built by Renault and has a 3 cyl Perkins. Great running little tractor, but last night when attempting to carry a round bale out to the horses the 3 pt wouldn't lift. Wouldn't budge at all. We thought we'd check the hydraulic fluid level thinking that maybe it is low, but felt less than intelligent when we couldn't even find a fill hole for hyd. I saw on tractordata.com that the engine takes 29 quarts of oil (seems like a misprint). Surely the engine and hydraulics don't use the same oil? Does anyone know? Before last night the 3 pt worked as it should.

/ Allis Chalmers One-Sixty 3 pt won't lift #2  
Tractordata lists the engine oil capacity separately @ 6.5 quarts.

/ Allis Chalmers One-Sixty 3 pt won't lift
That makes a lot more sense! Thanks DT.

/ Allis Chalmers One-Sixty 3 pt won't lift #4  
Wish I could have actually helped though.

Check the top of transmission case / rear end for what looks just like a drain plug, ie takes a ratchet wrench to open.

I found a downloadable shop manual on classicmachinery.net. That should help!

/ Allis Chalmers One-Sixty 3 pt won't lift #6  
I am not sure if the 160 has the "position" control like my 170 Allis had, but if that is set at the wrong position your 3 point arms won't lift. Do you have another 1 or 2 levers with numbers 0-9 right behind your 3 point lift lever? If you have the traction booster lever and position control lever set wrong it will interfere with the 3 point lifting properly. I am not 100% sure on this but it is worth looking at. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Thanks pizzaguy. Our One-Sixty has two levers side by side. One is the 3 pt lift and the other has the number 0-9 with it. I tried to lift with the other lever at various locations/numbers, but I'll try it again in more depth.