Rpms on the road

/ Rpms on the road #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
I've had a couple of M7040s, and have never had the need to run them on a road any distance at all.....until now.

Yesterday I went couple/3 miles to borrow a landplane for driveway work, then back. I ran at 2600 rpms, and feel the tractor was screaming, but had throttle left. What rpms does everyone run at when running on the road to get somewhere?

/ Rpms on the road #3  
M8540 pedal to the metal. The engines are rated for this speed your not going to destroy the engine.

/ Rpms on the road #4  
I made several 8 mile trips on the road with my B7100 and with my B2710. And I made a few road trips up to 15 or 20 miles with an old Oliver pulling a haybine or the baler. Always just went wide open.

/ Rpms on the road #5  
Its probably like a boat, about 3/4 throttle is your best compomise between speed and economy and thats most likely where your tach indicates 540 pto.

Operating at pto speed is where the makers intended it to be run for hours days and years.
I just don't care to run my equip. "wide Open"

/ Rpms on the road #6  
Its probably like a boat, about 3/4 throttle is your best compomise between speed and economy and thats most likely where your tach indicates 540 pto.

Operating at pto speed is where the makers intended it to be run for hours days and years.
I just don't care to run my equip. "wide Open"

I've never known of a tractor on which the 540 PTO speed was only 3/4 throttle. On all the ones I've used, "wide open" was no more than 200 RPM above the PTO speed.

/ Rpms on the road #7  
Run at whatever speed you are comfortable with, just keep an eye on your gauges, especially the temp gauge.

/ Rpms on the road #8  
Any tractor is made to run at full throttle in any gear all day long. Fuel economy might be better at 75% but for brief runs down the road, I wouldn't even be considering the extra fuel used. We used to have to road our tractors from farm tract to farm tract up to 20 miles and it was always WOT all the way. The tractor engine is not under much load when roading and WOT will get you to the destination faster.
PTO speed on my Kubota B26 is at WOT @2500, but my LS is at 2200 vs WOT at 2500 just like Bird said, "Just a couple hundred under WOT"

/ Rpms on the road #9  
The old-timers I learned from always told me diesels are made to, and I quote, "@#$%ing WORK, so @#$%ing WORK 'em; catch that @#$%ing gear and put your @#$%ing foot down". That was trucking, but it translates. Not to be confused with lack of maintenance or abuse in any form, but they don't need to be babied either. And I also learned it as WFO. :D