what tractor to buy

/ what tractor to buy #1  

jdenne

Tractor
Nothing yet.. buying land
All,

I'm looking to buy a used John Deere tractor, I know I know, all about what you want; but I don't know what I want. I would also consider a Ford, International or a Massy Ferguson.

I'll give you the basics; 70 acres of land on a rotational intensive grazing pasture, cow-calf operation, boer goats with cotton trailer, chickens in a large cotton trailer, and turkeys in a cotton trailer. This is all on a free range operations and I move all of this to a new paddock every day. Usually the UTV will be able to handle it but during wet weather the tractor may need to be call upon.

Could I get by with a 2 wheel drive or is a 4 wheel required; there isn't any bottom land to speak of.

I will also need a loader to hall round bales, a bucket to carry dirt..ex, and an auger for digging post. If I'm missing something let me know.

I don't want to spend more than $10k and would like to hear from you about what your think. I would like to start looking within the next several months.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards

Jim D'

/ what tractor to buy #2  
First off, welcome!

The biggest factor driving your tractor requirements sounds like the round bales. What size do you plan to use, and how much do they weigh (ballpark). It's also pretty common to move round bales on a 3pt hay spike, but the FEL is so versatile you won't know what you did without one. In fact, lots of folks put one on the 3pt, and then one on the FEL to save time.

If you do a lot of FEL work 4WD makes all the difference in the world (sometimes the rear tires have little traction when you have the FEL heavily loaded), and even more so if you get a wet season.

$10K is going to be tough, but probably not impossible....just sort of depends on how big of a machine you need based on the FEL requirements.

/ what tractor to buy #3  
Round bales can weigh 1500 lb or more. You'll want a tractor that weighs at least 5000 lb including the front end loader (FEL) with at least 50 hp (engine). $10K is a tight budget. Check local dealers who will usually have trade-ins for sale. Also check eBAy and Craigslist.

Here's one you could use that sold a few months ago on eBay that fits your budget.

IH484 ebay.PNG

Good luck

/ what tractor to buy #4  
If 10k is your budget, you're looking at a big old 2wd. I think something 50-80hp will have the weight to do your tasks and keep the price where you want it. Unfortunately, they will use fuel liberally and require maintenance. Also, they aren't nearly as user friendly as new models. 4wd is really nice, and means you could use a smaller tractor, 40-60hp. Unfortunately, even used, you'll be hard pressed to buy something under 15k.

/ what tractor to buy #5  
What ever you get if you have a FEL make sure it has power steering! I have seen and used older tractors with a FEL and no power steering and that literally sucks!

:welcome:

/ what tractor to buy
thanks, noted power steering

/ what tractor to buy #7  
Hello jdenne, at 10k I think you will only get a decent 2wd. Your limiting factor is the round bales(silage or hay, you don't say which) . Silage bales are 2000- 2300lb and you know you have a load on. Make sure the hydrualic pump can do the job adequatly( lift load plus a bit extra), and isn't worn. If you do go 2wd I strongly recommend a 3 point linkage counter weight for safty and traction . 4x4 is definatly better if you can afford it.
Size wise, you would be in the 60 - 80 hp range. Make sure the power steering works well. Also does the gearbox suit you? ie some gearboxes are more user friendly than others depending on the task.
Brakes, STAY AWAY from dry disc type brakes. They are expensive to repair and are notoriously poor and almost inpossible to balance (1 brake pedal high and the other almost on the floor to get equal brake effort), and don't last.I recommend "wet disc" type brakes, they are reliable, last well and can be balanced (both pedals are even and brakes both work)

/ what tractor to buy
Thanks for all your great information. Last thing I want is to get into a new tractor only to sale it and spend even more money on a bigger newer model.

/ what tractor to buy
Ok, Looks like I'll need to budget at least $15k on the tractor for this summer. Thanks for your post, you guys are wonderful. JD'

/ what tractor to buy
Ok guys,

I'm at 60-80 hp, FEL, power steering, wet disc breaks, good hydro pump, and a good gear box.

Now help me out with what models you recommend fall into this realm of tractor.

I would like to get a good deal with a used model.. but if I have to.. no.. I'll stay used..lol

Thanks in advance for your time.

FYI.. I now have a close date on my 70 acres; 16 May 2014.

JD'