Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade?

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #11  
Get some 5/16" or 3/8" or 1/2" clear plastic tubing and mix up some food coloring in water.
Set stakes in the ground and tie the tubing to the stakes, with the tube open ends pointing up.
Mark the first stake at the desired elevation.
Let the tubing in between the stakes rest on the ground, forming a squat u-tube.
Using a funnel, fill one end of the tubing until it reaches the desired level.
The fluid at the second stake will be at the same level, give or take 1/8".
Mark and repeat until your contour is laid out with enough marked stakes to get the grade you need.
Cheap-n-easy, like me!

Also add a little dishwashing detergent to make the water flow through the tube easier.

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #12  
Also add a little dishwashing detergent to make the water flow through the tube easier.
Yes - just a few drops for the surfactant effect, but not so much that you get suds!

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #13  
:thumbsup:Yardstick, 50 foot tape and a hand level!

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #14  
Get some 5/16" or 3/8" or 1/2" clear plastic tubing and mix up some food coloring in water.
Set stakes in the ground and tie the tubing to the stakes, with the tube open ends pointing up.
Mark the first stake at the desired elevation.
Let the tubing in between the stakes rest on the ground, forming a squat u-tube.
Using a funnel, fill one end of the tubing until it reaches the desired level.
The fluid at the second stake will be at the same level, give or take 1/8".
Mark and repeat until your contour is laid out with enough marked stakes to get the grade you need.
Cheap-n-easy, like me!

I've used this Zircon water level with success.

Water Level WL25 Electronic Water Level by Zircon

It's set up for one-person operation and emits a tone when the water level is the same at both ends of the tube.

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #15  
I have a pretty nice Spectra Laser Level that I use for bigger projects, like creating the dam for my pond. But for roads and drainage, I tend to use the do it and then do it again method. Just watch how the water flows after it rains and take out some more dirt where you need to. Nothing cheaper and eventually you get it right. I've also dumped water into a ditch just to see how it flowed, but that takes more work and usually not worth the effort. For me, it's fun to go for a walk right after it rains and see where I need to modify my ditches.

Eddie

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #16  
I have a pretty nice Spectra Laser Level that I use for bigger projects, like creating the dam for my pond. But for roads and drainage, I tend to use the do it and then do it again method. Just watch how the water flows after it rains and take out some more dirt where you need to. Nothing cheaper and eventually you get it right. I've also dumped water into a ditch just to see how it flowed, but that takes more work and usually not worth the effort. For me, it's fun to go for a walk right after it rains and see where I need to modify my ditches.

Eddie

Good method and works for me ^^^^^^^
I have used a simple torpedo level with magnet put one on the front glass straight surface and another on the box blade

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #17  
As mentioned above a water level is the easiest method and accurate enough for driveway grading. When using one outside the water level will bounce around a bit on a windy day.

If you can avoid the wind problem, which I have never had, a water level is more accurate than any other method. Beats even the most expensive laser level. You must keep it out of the sun because the temperature of the water must be uniform.

I have had more than one contractor sniff at my water level and claim his laser is more accurate, especially because it cost $2000. Now I have a decent laser level that he hasn't seen, but like the water level in some situations because I never have to calibrate it. Contractors that claim their lasers are more accurate go into the "ignorant fool" category and the "do not hire" list.

Now, I totally agree that in many situations a laser level is "good enough" and it is much faster than a water level in a lot of situations. But they are never "more accurate".

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #18  
Egon has the best method.

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #19  
Egon has the best method.

I dunno... I borrow my neighbor's laser transit with grade pole. Level the lazer with the bubble, then it double checks electronically and beeps if you're off. Then pound stakes out past the corners and mark "level" on the stakes. Run TIGHT string between them. Long runs may need a center stake to hold the string up. It's real nice to have a neighbor with pro equipment !

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #20  
One advantage of the water level over the laser and string methods is that it isn't line of sight - you can use the water level to survey around a building, exterior walls, interior wall corners, hedges, fences, trees, dirt pile, etc.