Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade?

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
Some recent snow melting & turning parts of my driveway to mud has informed me I didn't get the grading quite right.

What ways do you measure out a grade before moving dirt? My eyeball it & guess method is close, but not quite good enough.

I'm familiar with the concept of using stakes marked to the appropriate height, but probably looking for a good way to set them...

String & level... Slow but cheap
Rotating laser... Not so cheap & minimal range in the sun
Surveyor's transit... Might have to recruit your wife to hold the stick, but reasonably quick. Any cheaper than a laser?

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #2  
You can buy cheap laser levels. Just set one up at just above ground level to grade and pound your stakes in to grade in the evening.

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #4  
Get some 5/16" or 3/8" or 1/2" clear plastic tubing and mix up some food coloring in water.
Set stakes in the ground and tie the tubing to the stakes, with the tube open ends pointing up.
Mark the first stake at the desired elevation.
Let the tubing in between the stakes rest on the ground, forming a squat u-tube.
Using a funnel, fill one end of the tubing until it reaches the desired level.
The fluid at the second stake will be at the same level, give or take 1/8".
Mark and repeat until your contour is laid out with enough marked stakes to get the grade you need.
Cheap-n-easy, like me!

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #5  
You can rent a laser transit from most rental shops and that will probably be the cheapest and most exact method.

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #6  
First time I ran into a laser level was in a welding supply shop. Reasonably priced, machined so lay outs would be a snap etc, picked it up looked it over good quality, set it down and turned it on.
By then the counterman was beside me with a big smile on his face, "great product, whatta think?"
I turn to him and say what's the attraction? And he walks away rather dejected.

It wasn't till after I'd left I realized why I wasn't impressed.
I'm colored blind, I couldn't see the red beam.

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #7  
Get some 5/16" or 3/8" or 1/2" clear plastic tubing and mix up some food coloring in water.
Set stakes in the ground and tie the tubing to the stakes, with the tube open ends pointing up.
Mark the first stake at the desired elevation.
Let the tubing in between the stakes rest on the ground, forming a squat u-tube.
Using a funnel, fill one end of the tubing until it reaches the desired level.
The fluid at the second stake will be at the same level, give or take 1/8".
Mark and repeat until your contour is laid out with enough marked stakes to get the grade you need.
Cheap-n-easy, like me!

I used to do suspended ceilings using that tube.style.

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #8  
First time I ran into a laser level was in a welding supply shop. Reasonably priced, machined so lay outs would be a snap etc, picked it up looked it over good quality, set it down and turned it on.
By then the counterman was beside me with a big smile on his face, "great product, whatta think?"
I turn to him and say what's the attraction? And he walks away rather dejected.

It wasn't till after I'd left I realized why I wasn't impressed.
I'm colored blind, I couldn't see the red beam.

Good one...

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #9  
I layed out my house with just a hand held $2 sight level that has horizontal and vertical bubbles inside. trying to find a link on HD site, but all the advertise are the expensive ones.

Maybe more than $2, but I didn't pay $20. It's like this.
Johnson Hand Held Sight Level-80-5556 at The Home Depot

also a line level works. It's around $2 plus the cost of some string.

/ Most economical/efficient way to mark a grade? #10  
As mentioned above a water level is the easiest method and accurate enough for driveway grading. When using one outside the water level will bounce around a bit on a windy day.