How to convince the wife to let me get one

/ How to convince the wife to let me get one #1  

nightdevil

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 1025R FILB
Okay so, I've done my research for the past couple of months and settled on the B2650. :) So of course I've gotten the green light previously. We currently have a cub cadet "garden tractor" which is just too small and doesn't have the necessary implements to do what I need done.
Things I think I can do around the home (only 2 acres) mostly wooded 95%.
  • grade gravel drive way
  • snow removal
  • landscaping mulching
  • complete driveway and backfill
  • no grass to cut
  • small tree stump removal
  • chipping
So a few days ago, I tell her im going to place the order and she goes "okay well how much is it..." and thats when it went down hill...
apparently her thought was that it was like our previous tractor $2k. Overall, cost is not a concern, she doesn't think I would not use it as much as I think I personally would. I currently do not use the small one we have as much frankly, because it cannot do much. We have no grass to cut and I cannot add a loader, backhoe, or box scraper. Moving just 3 yards of gravel with a shovel is not fun at all. :thumbdown:

So I'm asking... am I missing something that it would be useful and could say to her to convince her?:confused3:

/ How to convince the wife to let me get one #2  
Begging forgiveness is easier than asking permission.

/ How to convince the wife to let me get one #4  
What are we spending here? $25K, give or take?

Decisions of this level really require that you and your wife find consensus. Although the "begging forgiveness" is an entertaining thought, it is a huge display of disrespect for your wife. After all, her happiness is more important than you getting a tractor.

Have that talk .. the one where you sit together and you make your case, show her pictures/videos, and convince her that it's in the best interest of the family. Promise to sell it and recoup as much of your investment as possible - if it proves that you actually don't use it enough to justify the cost. Be willing to pick up a low hour used unit. LISTEN to her - without interrupting. Her opinion is more important than yours. Tell her that although you really want the tractor, you will abide by her decision. Trust me, if you lost her today .... you would spend more time remembering how you could have treated her better, than you will riding around in that tractor.

Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

/ How to convince the wife to let me get one #5  
Tell her it will be worth almost as much after five years.

/ How to convince the wife to let me get one #6  
Order 10 yards of gravel for the driveway (the driveway will eat it up even if not needed). Hand her a shovel and rake and have her help spread it along the entire drive. You can only work on it when she is available... Now reproach her about the purchase.

/ How to convince the wife to let me get one #8  
I convinced my wife pretty easily that we needed one. The issue was convincing her how soon we needed it. Thankfully, the heavy snow this winter helped me with that, along with Kubota's 0% financing ending at the end of this month. I know they have that offer very often and it ends occasionally and then starts up again, but she doesn't know that ;)

/ How to convince the wife to let me get one #9  
Order 10 yards of gravel for the driveway...

Now - that idea, I like :) It makes a great argument.

/ How to convince the wife to let me get one #10  
What are we spending here? $25K, give or take?

Decisions of this level really require that you and your wife find consensus. Although the "begging forgiveness" is an entertaining thought, it is a huge display of disrespect for your wife. After all, her happiness is more important than you getting a tractor.

Have that talk .. the one where you sit together and you make your case, show her pictures/videos, and convince her that it's in the best interest of the family. Promise to sell it and recoup as much of your investment as possible - if it proves that you actually don't use it enough to justify the cost. Be willing to pick up a low hour used unit. LISTEN to her - without interrupting. Her opinion is more important than yours. Tell her that although you really want the tractor, you will abide by her decision. Trust me, if you lost her today .... you would spend more time remembering how you could have treated her better, than you will riding around in that tractor.

Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

As much as I would like to go buy what I want when I want it, that just is not reality. Egbert is giving pretty good advice here.