brand new tractor ...need help

/ brand new tractor ...need help #1  

yukonhunter

Silver Member
Tractor
John deere 5100m, mf1643 cab and kubota bx2370woods bb720x land pride disc and reverse tiller
I have a brand new jd 4520 sitting in my pole barn...its been a terribly cold winter and I haven't started it since November...I went to start it this weekend and it made a fast clicking sound when trying to start it...any ideas what it is...dying battery??? Thx guys

/ brand new tractor ...need help #2  
Fast clicking sound could be a battery in need of a charge, especially if it's been sitting all winter.

/ brand new tractor ...need help #3  
I'm with Happy... sounds like the starter relay clicking due to low voltage.
I keep a trickle charger on my vehicles that don't get used for months over the winter.

Pete

/ brand new tractor ...need help #4  
Fast clicking is almost always a dead battery. A battery maintainer is a really good idea if you're going to let it sit for long periods of time (the battery will last a lot longer that way), and the good thing is, they're inexpensive.

/ brand new tractor ...need help #5  
Battery needs recharging. If you don't plan to use the tractor during the cold months, remove the battery, charge it up fully and put it on a trickle charger.

/ brand new tractor ...need help #6  
Your in N.Y. where I am, been below zero many times out in the country. Buy a Battery Tender, it will maintain the charge and never over charge like trickle chargers will. I have 4 , motorcycle , Kubota, Truck, Small lawn tractor, and have used them for years. About $50.00 @ Wallys.
DevilDog

/ brand new tractor ...need help #7  
Fast click is the starter relay.

Modern electronics do not like low / variable voltage. Sure fire way to cause expensive failures is to let the battery fail.

If you do get a trickle charger, get a good one. The cheap ones can actually damage the battery by continuously putting too much juice in after it's fully charged. The above post on a battery tender is good advice!

/ brand new tractor ...need help #8  
   / brand new tractor ...need help #9  
I used to have this issue for many of my engines, big or small. Part of my problem was how I moved the equipment around before storing it. I was starting something, moving it out of the way, shutting it down within a couple minutes and then leaving it sit for weeks. The batteries weren't charged properly before storing because of that, so they sulfated and wouldn't hold a full charge. Leaving a battery sit for weeks drains them too. Now I use battery minders on everything at least once a month, if not on continuously. My batteries are holding a charge like new again.

/ brand new tractor ...need help
Thx so much guys....I'm going to buy one today...I feel better now lol