Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520 hstw485 backhoe woods bb720x land pride disc and reverse tiller

Default brand new tractor ...need help

I have a brand new jd 4520 sitting in my pole barn...its been a terribly cold winter and I haven't started it since November...I went to start it this weekend and it made a fast clicking sound when trying to start it...any ideas what it is...dying battery??? Thx guys

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT

Default Re: brand new tractor ...need help

Fast clicking sound could be a battery in need of a charge, especially if it's been sitting all winter.

Gold Member uglyboywith11fingers's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 BX24TLB, 1998 TG1860G

I'm with Happy... sounds like the starter relay clicking due to low voltage.
    I keep a trickle charger on my vehicles that don't get used for months over the winter.

Pete

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 241, Massey Ferguson 2244 crawler, Case 580 Super M Series 2

Fast clicking is almost always a dead battery. A battery maintainer is a really good idea if you're going to let it sit for long periods of time (the battery will last a lot longer that way), and the good thing is, they're inexpensive.
    Life is more fun when you ignore the trolls...we can only hope for the day they take a magic carpet ride somewhere else.

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Battery needs recharging. If you don't plan to use the tractor during the cold months, remove the battery, charge it up fully and put it on a trickle charger.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Grand L 3540 HST-3, R4's

Your in N.Y. where I am, been below zero many times out in the country. Buy a Battery Tender, it will maintain the charge and never over charge like trickle chargers will. I have 4 , motorcycle , kubota, Truck, Small lawn tractor, and have used them for years. About $50.00 @ Wallys.
    DevilDog
    He is your Friend, Your Partner, Your Defender, Your Dog. You Are His Life, His Love, His Leader. He Will Be Yours, Faithful And True, To The Last Beat Of His Heart. ...Unknown

Fast click is the starter relay.

Modern electronics do not like low / variable voltage. Sure fire way to cause expensive failures is to let the battery fail.

If you do get a trickle charger, get a good one. The cheap ones can actually damage the battery by continuously putting too much juice in after it's fully charged. The above post on a battery tender is good advice!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100 HST

Wal-Mart, of all places, sells a really good float charger. It's made by Schumacher. I have the on-board version mounted in my Suburban's engine bay and wired in with the block heater so when I'm heating the block, I'm keeping the batteries topped off too.

Schumacher SE-1-12S-CA Fully Automatic Onboard Battery Charger - 1.5 Amps : Amazon.com : Automotive

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Case DX55, Ford 850

I used to have this issue for many of my engines, big or small. Part of my problem was how I moved the equipment around before storing it. I was starting something, moving it out of the way, shutting it down within a couple minutes and then leaving it sit for weeks. The batteries weren't charged properly before storing because of that, so they sulfated and wouldn't hold a full charge. Leaving a battery sit for weeks drains them too. Now I use battery minders on everything at least once a month, if not on continuously. My batteries are holding a charge like new again.

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 hstw485 backhoe woods bb720x land pride disc and reverse tiller

Thx so much guys....I'm going to buy one today...I feel better now lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast