USED L2800

/ USED L2800 #1  

little k

Tractor
L2800 & a 1970 4020 D
Hi new to forum. I bought a used Kubota L2800 with a loader. I don't know much about Kubota tractors always had JDs. I don't see much on the web about the L2800. Did I make a wise choice or not.

/ USED L2800 #2  
Hi new to forum. I bought a used Kubota L2800 with a loader. I don't know much about Kubota tractors always had JDs. I don't see much on the web about the L2800. Did I make a wise choice or not.

Hi Welcome to TBN.:thumbsup:

A lot depends on what you want to do with it. If you purchased it to push over 3 foot diameter oak trees, I am guessing you are going to be really disappointed.
In other words we cant give you an honest answer without a lot of information about your intended uses. As an example, if you are wanting it to run most hay balers, then again, you are going to be disappointed. If you want to move a pile of dirt from point A to Point B, then I expect you are going to be pretty happy with it.:) We just need to know a lot more about you and your new machine:)

/ USED L2800
Thanks for the response. tractor should be here Fri. I will use it for light dirt work & such as that. tractor has front wheel assist, turf tires front & back. I was concerned as to how well that # held up since I don't read much about them. I would rather had ag tread but maybe at a later date I farmed for several years. Now I am a rural mail carrier. We have 5 acres some wooded about 2 acres tillable. I thank you pretty much answered my question. Everything has its limitations. thanks Warren

/ USED L2800 #4  
Thanks for the response. tractor should be here Fri. I will use it for light dirt work & such as that. tractor has front wheel assist, turf tires front & back. I was concerned as to how well that # held up since I don't read much about them. I would rather had ag tread but maybe at a later date I farmed for several years. Now I am a rural mail carrier. We have 5 acres some wooded about 2 acres tillable. I thank you pretty much answered my question. Everything has its limitations. thanks Warren

Congratulations on your new machine, You will probably get along fine with the Turfs, but they do have some limitations, like everything else, there are upsides and downsides. They are pretty good in snow, and easy on the lawn, but not so good in mud, and they dont have the sidewall strength of Industrials. But lots of guys have them and like them. As for the L2800, it is a good basic machine. Kubota calls it a "standard" machine as opposed to their "deluxe" line called the Grand L's. There are some feature shortcuts taken to meet a price point. As far as reliability, I have never heard much bad about reliability. The only thing that comes to mind is the overunning clutch dogs on the PTO on some of the older models can wear out and require replacement. I understand they were beefed up in later models. The 3pt hitch may or may not be the smoothest if you try to raise it slowly in small increments. And depending on what you do with it, you may or may not even notice that. But for moving dirt, pushing snow, and mowing, I think it will serve you well for many many years. Keep in mind they are in the same "family" as the L3400,( I owned one of those) L3700su and the later L3200 and L3800 replaced the former. Newest models this year just out to meet Tier 4 final air quality emission standards are the L3301 and L3901.

/ USED L2800 #5  
What year your L2800,also type of tranny..hst or gear.

You could always put set rear tire chains on,you'll be surprise extra grip w/turfs.

I have L2800 for many uses,has been real good to me..side note,3pt hitch can be little jerky at times.

/ USED L2800 #6  
I've had mine for almost 5 yrs, very happy with it.

L2800 w/FEL - 72" Land Pride rake

/ USED L2800 #7  
After checking out the info on tractordata.com, your L2800 seems to be a newer version of the L2850, which my buddy has, bought new in 1986 or thereabouts. Its been thru the wringer, his 3 sons were hard on it, as is he, and myself. He has let me borrow it at times over the years for brush hogging places I couldn't get the ol mans 2wd MF135 into, before I got my JD 3005 last summer.

As mentioned, the hydrolic contols can be jumpy, he had an issue with the starter over the years, will spin but not ingage, just takes hittting the key a few times and it starts. There was a time where he ran it without power steering as the coupler sleave between the hyd pump and the p/s pump was damaged and in turn damaged the I put shaft on the p/s pump. Once both sleave and pump replaced, they have been fine for 5 years.

Aftermarket woods loader has been repaired meny times, mostly due to abuse and over use, he wishes he got the factory loader originally.

But overall its been one tuff little tractor and good to go for years to come. He also has an L4310HST cab tractor with westendorf loader, got it used about 3 or 4 years ago.

/ USED L2800 #8  
I can't help about the Kubota, but I think you made a great choice about the size. I have a JD 870 which is close in weight and hp and it does a great job of mowing, tilling, grading, snow plowing, and chipping on my place, with is similar to yours but a bit larger. I've also moved quite bit of dirt with it - not as fast as a bigger machine but it gets the job done.

Terry

/ USED L2800
Thanks for the comments. I bought this tractor through a dealer over the web. I have not touched it yet. Never bought anything like that without seeing it up & close there for the concern. thanks Warren

/ USED L2800
Thanks for the information.Warren