John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #11  
He mentioned reading through the process in the manual in the first post AND posted the text and images in his second one. Apparently the 990 is "self-bleeding/priming" and doesn't have a traditional priming procedure.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #12  
I should have seen that and had assumed the images were from another poster.
In any case as long as there is air at the injection pump inlet. She ain't gonna start.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change
The fuel filter needs to be filled to the top with fuel when you replace it... the pump will probably not prime through air, though it will purge small amounts once it's running.

Fill the bowl completely with fuel and try again. If not, you may need to bleed the system, which may involve disconnecting the fuel injector lines at the injectors.

First, thanks for all the replies. I do appreciate the help. Below is the actual picture of my JD990 tractor and Fuel Filter. I opened up the fuel filter canister (A) and filled it to the top with fuel and tightened the collar on top. I kept shut off valve in the vertical/open position. I then tried cranking the tractor and it wouldn't start. Then I opened the nut (B) on the injector pump 1 to 2 turns and i noticed some fuel come out. I then tried cranking the tractor and noticed that more small amounts of fuel came out of the nut (B) and the tractor started running. I had the throttle on full and the tractor ran at full speed. During this I hand tightened the fuel injector pump nut (B). However, I also noticed the fuel filter canister drawing down on fuel and then the engine cut off once most of the fuel was consumed :(.

I realize that for some reason there isn't any fuel being pulled into the canister. I assumed maybe there is a blockage at the gas tank (like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awq80YYHvoY). I pulled the line coming right off the the gas tank and realized the diesel came out free and flowing and there is no blockage from the gas tank.

I opened the fuel filter canister back up, refilled it with fuel. Cracked open injector pump nut and got the tractor started just like before and it ran full speed and used up all the fuel and shut off again.

Any thoughts? Is there a blockage/air in lines leading up to the fuel filter canister?

photo.JPG

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #14  
Are you sure about the shut-off lever position ???
On my Kubota which has what looks like the same sediment bowl as your JD the vetical position is off and horizontal is on. If you haven't tried it both ways you have nothing to loose. Your symtoms, as you have diagnosed, idicate that fuel is not getting into the bowl. Either the valve or fuel line.

Edit: It is common that the lever "points" in the direction of fuel flow. Maybe the lever has a pin that broke. Can you feel the valve turning ??

Last edited:
   / John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #15  
My JD 870 has a filter system up by the fuel pump that looks like yours. My fuel cut off handle is in the same position as yours. If it were my tractor I would turn the fuel lever to the off position. Remove the filter bowl. Get a catch can and open the fuel lever to see that it is flowing nicely. Many have suggested you need to make sure the fuel line from the tank all the way to the filter inlet has no obstructions.

I keep a spare filter on the shelf as my filter seems to clog up with crud growing in the tank. I guess I need to get some biocide in the tank to kill off the nasties. In any event my 870 starts up easily after a filter change. Same self bleeding system.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #16  
Remove the fuel line going "into" the filter from the tank,
let it hang and see if fuel drips from it.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change
Remove the fuel line going "into" the filter from the tank,
let it hang and see if fuel drips from it.

I have opened the filter canister up before and opened the shut-off valve to see how much fuel comes out and it is a trickle. I think originally barely the filter got wet. In any case what do you guys think about me doing the following. I know the output from the gas tank is fine. What if I disconnect the fuel hose from the gas tank and insert some catheter and snake it thru the hose all the way to the filter. I will have the filter hose disconnected as well. First, will this plan even work, or does the fuel hose from the gas tank to the fuel filter have some other component blocking the passage? I'm thinking i should be able to remove any blockage in the lines this way.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #18  
I always just blow compressed air into line to remove any blockage.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #19  
Looks like you have ruled out almost everything but the fuel line between the tank and the filter. Pull that line off the filter inlet connection to check for good flow. If that isn't the cause, I'd look at the filter housing to see if there is a blockage inside the input fitting.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #20  
its od you tractor was running fine before you changed the filter right?how could there be blockage now? my oppinion is there is something wrong with the shutoff valve.