John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #1  

hghaz

Tractor
John Deere 990
Hi Everyone,

I was doing some routine maintenance on my John Deere 990 to get it ready for Spring. I changed the engine oli (JD Plus-50 II Diesel Motor Oil 15W-40) and filter (M806419). Then I changed the fuel filter (T111383) as the container looked dirty. The container was filled with diesel fuel. After cleaning sediments from the container thoroughly I installed the new filter and made sure the rubber gasket was fit on the container properly and tightened the collar. Right after I finished in fuel filter change, I started the tractor and it ran for about 20 second. Started right up no problem and then died like it ran out of fuel. I tried to restart and the starter cranks just fine but the tractor doesn't start. I also notice the fuel filter container doesn't seem to be filling at least as much as it was filled when I opened it. The tank is full of fuel.

After reading online posts and suggestions and looking thru the manual I have tried the following items:

Most online posts state for the need to flush the air from the fuel system. Apparently the 990 automatically flushes the air out of the system. I have tried cranking the engine over and over multiple times, but won't start. I believe some instructions state to put the key in the ignition and turn it to "Run" position for 20 seconds to let the system flush the air, then tried starting. I have followed the cold start instructions also and nothing has worked.

I opened the fuel filter container again noticed some fuel in the container (about 1 cm high) and the fuel filter was wet. I removed the fuel filter and reinstalled it and tried all of the above things again. Tractor cranks fine, but the engine won't start.

There is one youtube video where the guy had very little flow from the gas tank causing his tractor not to start. Basically something had gotten stuck in the valve/connection pipe coming out of the fuel tank. Before I go emptying the fuel tank into a bucket, any body have run into this issue before. Anything else I can try? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #2  
First make sure any fuel shutoff valve you may have turned off when changing the filter is back in the open position.

Generally there is a "priming" function you have to use after changing the filter. You crack the return line and pump the primer till the air bubbles stop and just fuel comes out. Sometimes it take forever.

If for whatever reason you don't have a primer at all (which your manual seems to indicate) it may help to crack the return line and turn the engine over for a few second to get the air out the line before retightening the nut and she should fire right up.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change
Yes, I made sure the fuel shut of valve was turned to the "O" (open) position. This tractor doesn't have a pump/priming function. It suppose to automatically bleed the air out. When you say the "return line", which line do you mean specifically? The one going into the filter from the gas tank or the one going from the filter to the engine? I have posted instructions below from the service manual that show the hoses connected to the fuel filter/sediment bowl. Is the hose that you are referencing any of these?

Using Fuel Shut-Off Valve
This engine is equipped with a two position fuel shut-off valve. Keep the fuel shut-off valve completely open when running the engine to ensure proper fuel delivery. Close the valve when performing any type of engine service, during transport of the machine, and during storage

1. Raise and latch the hood.

2. Remove service shield from right side of engine.
LVU10907NA75.jpg

MX4114

3. Open or close fuel shut-off valve lever (A) as required:

キ Open Valve: Rotate valve lever to the "O" (vertical) position (B).
キ Close Valve: Rotate valve lever to the "S" (horizontal) position (C).

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #4  
Try re-filling the fuel bowl again, by the look of your picture,
it's in the "off" position now.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #5  
There is a line that should come from the tank that is the supply line to the filter. The other line is the supply line to the fuel pump. Remove the line which feeds the fuel pump. You should get a good stream. If not try turning the shut off valve as Skyhook mentions. If you get no flow from either you could remove your filter again. Open the valve and see if you get good flow with no filter. You may have some clogs happening in the tank pick up.

I have not changed my filters in a while. My tractor has a water separator by the tank and another filter up by the pump. I thought when I open the valve up I saw some fuel flow filling up the bowl.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #6  
The return line runs into the top of your injector pump (at least on my tractors). If you can locate where your throttle adjustment is, the return line may be right above it. Generally to prime I crack that (and the bleed screw on the filter itself) and pump and pump till no more air comes out. Turning the engine over with it slightly cracked will (I think) do the same thing. Hopefully somebody else can be more confident here, this is just what I've always done with diesels.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #7  
i had same prob with my 990 what i did was fill the bowl to top then install it and dont tighten it turn shut off valve on till fuel pores out then tighten bowl nut raise to full throttle then crank. this worked for me.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #8  
The fuel filter needs to be filled to the top with fuel when you replace it... the pump will probably not prime through air, though it will purge small amounts once it's running.

Fill the bowl completely with fuel and try again. If not, you may need to bleed the system, which may involve disconnecting the fuel injector lines at the injectors.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #9  
I do the same as #7 but I make sure the engine is warm before changing the filter. My filter is like yours but it has a bleed screw on it although I never had to use it. If you crack the injector lines I have been told that you crack the one furtherest from the pump but I never had to. Good luck.

/ John Deere 990 won't start after Fuel Filter Change #10  
It is out of fuel. The injection pump has air at it's inlet. You are just burning out the starter.
There is a fuel priming and air bleeding procedure in the operator's manual. I hear no mention of the manual so somebody must have lost it. 1-800-522-7448 for a new one. It's cheaper than a dead tractor and a smoked starter.