Dumb question about pto attachments??

/ Dumb question about pto attachments?? #1  

descanso1

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota B7800
Why would someone use PTO attachments when the same tool is available as a free standing unit for less money, for instance a pto generator or pto log splitter are less expensive as independent units. Why use a $20,000.00 tractor to operate a piece of equipment that will do just as good a job as a free standing unit and cost a lot less. And leave the tractor free to do other jobs, such as moving logs to the splitter. Plus save the additional hours and wear and tear on the tractor which is a large investment.... Just can not figure it out....

/ Dumb question about pto attachments?? #2  
Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. That makes the decision point an individual one. Such as the generator -- you can get a 7200W generator for $1K. But a Dewalt gas generator will be about $2.1K from Amazon.

Some of the choices is where you have to work as well. The PTO generator can be taken along to do welding in the middle of the field where dragging the gas generator is 206 pounds. Hooking the PTO generator you don't have to worry about weight. But if you are doing nothing but keeping the house going, maybe the $1k 2000 watts generator may meet your needs.

Same issue with a log splitter and just about any attachment.

/ Dumb question about pto attachments?? #3  
Also bear in mind, one engine to maintain versus many. Oil changes, wear and tear etc, gas going stale in multiple self powered pieces of equipment. Especially in the instance of a generator, which at times is seldom used. Most people purchase the PTO powered implements or equipment after they have the tractor for other uses on the property, farm etc.

/ Dumb question about pto attachments?? #4  
I am on Happy's wave length. I am tired of maintaining multiple small engines. I am even looking for an electric motor to drive a small chipper/shredder to do the little stuff for which the big 3PT 6" is too cumbersome. Seems like small engines are now throw a ways, no way to adjust them, a part can cost as much as replacement engine, and the down the road engine guy can't even figure out how to take them apart.

Ron

/ Dumb question about pto attachments?? #5  
Yep, pros and cons, different situations and needs.

FWIW, the engines on CUTs and SCUTs may well outlast other expensive parts of the tractor. The argument could be made that in the long run, it's more economical to put some easy hours on the tractor engine rather than buy and maintain multiple small engines.

/ Dumb question about pto attachments?? #6  
It is also about efficiency. With a pto splitter I can split longer and bigger logs much faster than with a free standing unit. The benefit of splitting a longer log is that I save 2 cuts for every piece split so that is another time saver. And you guessed it the saw is pto mounted as well. It can handle about 6 splits per cut which saves yet more time! When you heat your water and house year round with wood, you need to cut a lot of wood and want to do it the fastest way possible.

/ Dumb question about pto attachments?? #7  
I use a free standing splitter so I can use the tractor to get wood.

/ Dumb question about pto attachments?? #8  
I don't have a PTO generator, just put in an LP whole-house automatic unit, but I do have a 3-point log splitter. I haven't kept records so I could do the math, but I'd bet good money that the Yanmar diesel in my JD750 is a good deal more fuel efficient than an 8 or 10 hp gas engine.

I have stopped my splitter with a particularly gnarly stick of wood, but it wasn't for lack of torque.

As far as getting the wood, I have tree length delivered and the splitter makes a good counterweight while handling the logs with my forks and clamp. When I go into firewood mode in the fall, the forks and splitter generally stay on the tractor until I'm done.