My 2014 Spring Garden

/ My 2014 Spring Garden #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
I'm gonna try and post pics, progress, and updates on my Spring garden this year. I'll also be able to use this thread for future reference. This is the main reason I'm doing this but feel free to comment anytime! I plan on posting pics this evening. Stay tuned! ;-)

/ My 2014 Spring Garden #2  
You Southern fella's drive my buddy crazy posting stuff about planting this time of year. He's doing the Farmer's Market thing, and wants to be the first to have Sweet Corn, etc. to get the premium prices on early items. I told him he needs to pack up, and move about 1,000 miles south. ;)

I don't get too excited here, unless it's the cool weather items until the second week of May. Can't seem to get him to understand the frost date here is May, 15th. Well, except last year. He planted Sweet Corn the 1rst week of April, and it was looking good, until we had a near killing frost on Apr. 20. It did survive, but looked pretty funky. His second planting the first week of May passed it up by 2 weeks, producing ears.

I'm getting the fever though, so DO post pics..!!

/ My 2014 Spring Garden #3  
I'm getting ready to plant indoors, not sure if that counts but frost date here is near the end of May. I plan on starting my indoor plants next week though and will post as it comes along. Man am I ready to get out of this snow drift. This was my first year back in snow country in 25 years, not too sure I can last though.

/ My 2014 Spring Garden #4  
Last year I think everyone around me had to replant due to planting too early. We had a warm spring and everyone had plants growing my end of March but somewhere around end of April, we got a killing frost and everyone lost everything. All the good bedding plants were already planted so the remaining runts was what everyone had to contend with. No one made a decent crop off of anything last year at least in Ark and Houston Texas area.

/ My 2014 Spring Garden #5  
Please post your pics - I would love to see that spring is actually coming somewhere. We plant after Memorial Day, so it will be a while. Here is a picture of a corner of our garden last week. The fence is a 5 footer to keep deer out. Snow to the top of the picnic table. We got 7 or 8 inches since then so it is even deeper now :mad:

Attachments

• P1080318.JPG
    P1080318.JPG
    956 KB · Views: 381
   / My 2014 Spring Garden
Well y'all don't need to feel too bad about the spring garden just yet! Lol I only planted a row of red Irish potatoes because it was way too wet to get in the garden in February, and it's too early to plant anything else because of the chance of a frost. Hopefully I wasn't too late by planting the potatoes yesterday but I had no other choice. As for last year's garden, I took that chance on planting early and it come back and bit me! Frost bit that is.. Had to go back and re-plant everything. I vowed to never plant that early again!! I chisel plowed 3 days ago and tilled yesterday. Supposed to be a lot of rain coming this weekend and I'll have to re-till. But that's ok because I had to get that grass out of there. Here are some pics... image-1719743868.jpg Fixing to cover up the planted potatoes with the row hipper. image-4145343693.jpg Potatoes are planted! image-2369253761.jpg Potatoes are covered! image-1831540595.jpg Opened up the furrow with the middle buster

...sorry I messed up in the order of the pics.

Attachments

• image-1252469145.jpg
    image-1252469145.jpg
    889.2 KB · Views: 454
  • image-2642434999.jpg
    image-2642434999.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 428
  • image-1219866430.jpg
    image-1219866430.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 479
   / My 2014 Spring Garden
Please post your pics - I would love to see that spring is actually coming somewhere. We plant after Memorial Day, so it will be a while. Here is a picture of a corner of our garden last week. The fence is a 5 footer to keep deer out. Snow to the top of the picnic table. We got 7 or 8 inches since then so it is even deeper now :mad:

We dream of snow down here and Im assuming y'all dream of summer up there!

/ My 2014 Spring Garden #8  
My wife got tomatoes and peppers up early this week.... under the lights in the basement. :)

They will go in the greenhouse in April and outside in mid to late May after the chance of frost is past.

Terry

/ My 2014 Spring Garden
My wife got tomatoes and peppers up early this week.... under the lights in the basement. :) They will go in the greenhouse in April and outside in mid to late May after the chance of frost is past. Terry
I can't eat tomatoes except every now and then on a BLT. I may be alergic to them or something, not sure. The acid leaves blisters in the roof of my mouth! But I'm not missing anything because I don't care for tomatoes anyway. The only way I like them and can eat them is when paw paw fries 'em when they green. (And Fried Green Tomatoes is a good movie too!) Paw paw bought his tomato, squash, and pepper plants the other day. But hasn't set them out yet. Paw paw and daddy grow their own hot peppers (Caribbean Reds, habanero, and Bhut Jolokia?) and bottle it up in small whiskey bottles. Sometimes they sell, sometimes they trade. But they mainly keep it for themselves. I just don't see how they eat that stuff! Now I like a little spice in my life but nothing like that!!! I mainly like planting Funks G-90 sweet corn, yellow strait neck squash, dasher 2 or straight 8 cucumbers. I'll sometimes plant red beans or cranberry beans. I may end up planting a row of string beans this year though. I'm trying a patch of watermelon and cantaloupe this year again also. But haven't had any luck with those 2. Watermelon is my favorite fruit. Trying Black Diamond this year. I don't really care for cantaloupe but family members do. But if I can get it to produce, my mouth ain't gonna turn it down! lol

/ My 2014 Spring Garden
Ok we finally got lots of rain today and I'm pretty sure more is on the way!! We're currently under a tornado watch and Lord knows we don't want that but all I gotta say is GROW LITTLE SPUDS GROW!!! :)