Oil & Fuel Mahindra 3016

/ Mahindra 3016 #1  

crdrvr1

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Recently I have had trouble getting my 3016 started. When it sits for a few days and I try to start it, it turns over fine, but white smoke billows out from the exhaust. The fuel pump clicks and the glow plug light comes on and goes out as it should. Eventually, it will crank but I have to run the starter too long. I changed the fuel filter and filled with fresh ultra low sulfur diesel, no help.

/ Mahindra 3016 #2  
Recently I have had trouble getting my 3016 started. When it sits for a few days and I try to start it, it turns over fine, but white smoke billows out from the exhaust. The fuel pump clicks and the glow plug light comes on and goes out as it should. Eventually, it will crank but I have to run the starter too long. I changed the fuel filter and filled with fresh ultra low sulfur diesel, no help.

If the glow light indicator comes on and the fuel pump is engaging, I'd say your glow plugs are not operating. The light is just an indicator that the circuit is engaged. Checked any fuses? White smoke is unburnt fuel. Seems to me things are just not getting hot enough to start ignition as faulty glow plugs would cause.

/ Mahindra 3016
OK. This is my first diesel anything. How can verify if the glow plugs are working properly? Its a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder.

/ Mahindra 3016 #4  
Check the fuse first, if it's OK check for voltage at the glow plug.

/ Mahindra 3016 #5  
OK. This is my first diesel anything. How can verify if the glow plugs are working properly? Its a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder.

Do you have a test light or ohm meter? Loosen and take off battery cables. Attach one lead to positive battery terminal and other to glow plug. If light comes on , they're good or at least weak. Do each one. If ohm meter, 1-2 ohms is good. Glow plugs are at top of engine (they'll be three as you have a 3 cylinder engine) with leads coming out of them. Another thought is to check battery. 3016's are notorious for leaky batteries making them weak. Your battery box could be a complete corroded mess. I am leaning toward bad plugs if the fuse is good however. Owning a tractor is like being in a marriage: there's gonna be trouble. Learning to negotiate all the aspects is quite the learning curve. Same thing with a tractor.

/ Mahindra 3016 #6  
Beside bad or non-working glow plugs there could also be the possibility that fuel is draining back to tank from fuel filter. I'd suggest to check for absence of fuel in fuel filter

/ Mahindra 3016 #7  
could also be loosing primes thus having air in the system, when it starts does it run smooth or take a while to level out?

/ Mahindra 3016
I put a new battery in 2 weeks ago, and yes it was a mess..I brushed all that away and repainted tray. Thanks for the info. Will try Firday afternoon.

Do you have a test light or ohm meter? Loosen and take off battery cables. Attach one lead to positive battery terminal and other to glow plug. If light comes on , they're good or at least weak. Do each one. If ohm meter, 1-2 ohms is good. Glow plugs are at top of engine (they'll be three as you have a 3 cylinder engine) with leads coming out of them. Another thought is to check battery. 3016's are notorious for leaky batteries making them weak. Your battery box could be a complete corroded mess. I am leaning toward bad plugs if the fuse is good however. Owning a tractor is like being in a marriage: there's gonna be trouble. Learning to negotiate all the aspects is quite the learning curve. Same thing with a tractor.

/ Mahindra 3016
Filter always full. Thanks

/ Mahindra 3016 #10  
If you take off both batt cables how can you see voltage at the GPs?
Jim