Ballast Box Question

/ Ballast Box Question #1  

Normal Bill

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320
I really like all the ideas on this forum about ballast box mods. I will probably fill mine with concrete now but I'm worried about rusting from the inside out.
Before I get started my plan is: spray any bad spots with rust killer ("extend"?) ,then paint the inside with liquid galvanizing spray or rubberized undercoating, then pour the concrete. Does this sound right? (I couldn't find this discussed in the other threads.)

/ Ballast Box Question #2  
If you are concerned with the metal rusting your system should be more than adequate. I made one counter weight with concrete in the past and just primed the steel and then shot a cheap coat of paint over it and I never had any problems at all. Stored it outdoors in the weather for 5+ years with no issues

/ Ballast Box Question #3  
1. I like to over-engineer my home projects too.

2. If you store your tractor + BB in the garage, you are planning for the next TWO centuries.

3. When finished to above specs have entire ballast box powder coated.
Then, cover with a canvas tarpaulin. (Synthetic tarp will make BB sweat.)

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES.

This a Great Country because of our People.

Last edited:
   / Ballast Box Question
Here it is.

Around 480lbs of concrete and pieces of steel tubing for carrying items. The rectangular one is for towing chains, the large shallow circle is for gloves and ratchet straps etc.. and the small long tube is for shovels or rakes. I also embedded u-bolts for future use.
IMG_8961.JPG IMG_8956.JPG IMG_8962.JPG

This other piece bolts on. It can hold more shovels, rakes and a chainsaw.

IMG_8965.JPG IMG_8967.JPG

I used pex tubing and sloped the concrete to create drainage holes.
IMG_8955.JPG IMG_8952.JPG

IMG_8963.JPG IMG_8964.JPG

/ Ballast Box Question #6  
Your creation can only be categorized as ART.

/ Ballast Box Question #7  
^^^^^ I like your ballast box a lot. Well thought out well executed and beautifully finished.