Maintenance on an 851 Powermaster

/ Maintenance on an 851 Powermaster #11  
Nice tractor, welcome!

/ Maintenance on an 851 Powermaster
Thanks! I've definitely got enough information to keep me busy for a coupla weekends, next comes the busted knuckles and sweat!

/ Maintenance on an 851 Powermaster #13  
i'd dump in some atf and diesel and alcohol into the diffy, trans and hyds sump and then use that as the flush..

diffy drain is the pipe plug in the rear.. next drain up is the hyds, next one up nearest oil pan is trans.

figure on about 7g utf to do the entire thing.

also check to make sure there is no thrust play in the pto shaft.. and check lube and play in the steering box.

what's wrong witht he rear lift arms that they need to be replaced?

also do the rad fluid. green coolant is fine... if it still has a genny it needs a drop of oil under the oiler cap.. same with dizzy.

plugs are al 437 gap at .025 points gap at .025

Sound guy, dumb it down for a newby would you please sir? If I am understanding you correctly, you're saying put about a 50/50 mix of automatic trans fluid and deisel, (approx) into differential, transmission, and hydraulic reservoirs. run it around in a 10 acre circle (more or less run time?, should I raise and lower the arms or just leave it be?) redrain and dispose of that, then fill up all 3 reservoirs with utf, (134, correct?) which is approx 7 gallons, (or 2 - 5 gallon buckets with about 3 gallons for next time). I understand changing the radiator fluid. Genny is the old style breather correct? Whats a dizzy? PTO seems to work fine, that and the bearings were changed in the last 50 hours. Both of the DRAWBARS, (I was wrong it think, not lift arms) are wore out, one so much the ball/swivel bearing thingy has fallen out and been lost where it pins into the attachments. Is all the above correct?

And I can't seem to find online where to purchase "utf" 134. Sorry for the ignorance at this time, trying to learn this stuff....

/ Maintenance on an 851 Powermaster #16  
Gennie is short for generator. Old version of alternator.

Dizzy is a term some use for the distributor.

On the lower three point arms (not draw bar, that's in the middle under the differential), a welding shop can swap out ball ends for new for far less $ than a new arm! Balls are a wear item.

On the flush, yes operate your 3 pt up and down. If any fluid is milky (water contamination) add a few containers of gas drier and after your drive around, let it drip for a few hours.

Luck!

/ Maintenance on an 851 Powermaster #17  
yep.. repair ends can be bought at farm stores and simply welded on. those are called draftlinks, or lower lift arms.

oil bath air filter needs cleaning too. media and cup oil changed.

a quart of atf in each sump and a half gallon diesel in each sump with the old oil. if any oil is milty, add in a pint of 90% rubbing alcohol, make a lap around the pasture and drain.

UTF is generic for universal tractro fluid. walmart, most farm stores and auto parts stores sell it.

transdraulic, universal hyd oil.. etc. tractor fluid.. etc.

134 is a spec that is indicating the old ford spec of M2C134D though the A spec for that old machine is fine if you found an older spec pail.

Thanks guys, I've learned a bunch so far.... My final clarification questions are: I've found a pair of used draftlinks on ebay for 60 bucks a pair, (the ones I have are wollered out all 4 ends, and the ends are 20 bucks a peice, Plus 23 bucks shipping. I also found a brand new pair of draft links for 100 bucks a pair, plus 36 bucks shipping. I'll probably get one of those, and save the welding. (my dad welds but the older he gets he drinks and he's hard to deal with).

Secondly, I found a "universal tractor fluid at O'reillys auto parts for 54 bucks a 5 gallon jug, or plain old "Tractor fluid" at parks for 42 bucks. Are these the same thing? for 2 5 gallon buckets I'll save about 25 bucks with the latter....

/ Maintenance on an 851 Powermaster #19  
Do you have a farm supply store around? Tractor supply (TSC) is one. Around here we have "Farm & Fleet" and "Fleet Farm" that carry things like the ball ends and universal arms.

You do have to be sure that you are buying arms for your machine. Some of the cheaper "universal fit" arms will be too short for your older machine. No sense in getting something that won't work!

I looked on ebay and the arms from "FRP Rust Farm" for 60 bucks look decent and are for you machine. I'd probably get them.

/ Maintenance on an 851 Powermaster #20  
check the specs ont he fluid. if it meets the m2c134 spec you are good. some walmarts even carry. it.

PS. rural king and tsc sell a universal ford lift arm cheaper than you quoted.