Looking for truck to tow John Deere 4210

/ Looking for truck to tow John Deere 4210 #1  

tractor_man

I just bought a John Deere 4210. I have a trailer but I am looking for a work truck to tow it. Any suggestions what would be the best for this limited purpose?

/ Looking for truck to tow John Deere 4210 #2  
How big and heavy is the tractor, with attachments? How heavy is the trailer? Need to know how much all your stuff adds up to to decide what GCWR you will look for in a truck.

Remember to add everything...
Tractor
Loader?
Scraper? Mower? Post hole digger?
Are the tires loaded?

Then, add up extra stuff, chain, tools, cans of fuel, ice chest with drinks and lunch, ect.

I added it all up one time. My 1700lb tractor adds up to about 3000lbs+ for being "work ready".

Remember too, for the trailer, that some of the GVWR of the trailer is the wieght of the trailer itself. So, my 7500lb trailer weighs about 1250lbs. It can haul something weighing up to about 6000lbs.

/ Looking for truck to tow John Deere 4210 #3  
Not to frown on 1/2 ton trucks. But your looking at a 3/4 ton. Period. Preferred Cummins (Dodge) lol /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, you add the trailer, tractor, attachments, beer, let alone cargo and people cargo, it'll add up quick. I love my 3/4 ton and would never go with anything less. Let alone the bigger brakes, axles and springs are safer for the road. 5-6speed is preferred, the Autos in all the 3 brands are good too, but have there quirks.

Get a used 3/4 ton, lots of good ones around. The power of a used diesel either PSD, DMAX or Cummins will pay for itself. Plus if you plan on keeping it for a while, most gas motors will choke on mileage, and figure it'll be shot and need rebuilding after 125k. I get 20 mpg consistently empty, 14-16 towing my tractor, I don't think you can't come close with a big v10 or Chevy 8ltr gaser towing 5000lbs.

I'm in it for the long haul keeping the truck for years, I have 122k now, mileage mpg, and towing power. I put down 250 hp and 635ft lbs of torque when i dynoed. Easy add on's can add another 40-80hp easy. Diesel in a 3/4 or 1 ton hands down. Plus think all the other toys you can pull now! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1/2 ton gas, can it do it, yes... safely maybe, confidently - have a change shorts handy and have your lawyer handy for a lawsuit cause your overweighted when in an accident. Just be ready to trade in after a few years, it'll be shot by then, suspension, drivetrain and motor towing near max lots. Though if you only tow twice a year, go for it... 1/2 will do it. Its all about how much you want to spend, what kind of ride you want, what will the truck be doing then factor that times 10 for the amount of things it'll haul/load later. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Looking for truck to tow John Deere 4210 #4  
I am going through the same thought processes. From what I have read and heard from others, I am thinking an old dump or flatbed with dual real wheels, not tandem axles would be ideal. Don't really want to get a CDL to pull the tractor. I figure I could get some use out of it and give me something to put stuff in with the FEL. If you don't need the hauling of a dump/flatbed, then a dually pickup should be the ticket.

I have enjoyed using the following:

Truck trader online
Just don't buy the one I want before I do... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good Luck,
Floyd

/ Looking for truck to tow John Deere 4210 #5  
I have a JD4400 and I tow it on a Chevy 1500 4x4 Work truck package on a 16' trailer,I can pull 110 bales of hay on the trailer or 700 board feet of logs in 16' lenghts,and the logs are pulled on a regular basis.Would I recomend doing this to anyone else? NO. The 1500 gets the job down but my next truck will have to be a 3/4 or 1 ton. Also my next trailer I am going to get a 3 axle trailer.

/ Looking for truck to tow John Deere 4210 #6  
Hi...

A 2-wheel-drive 1/2 ton pickup truck is sufficient... the trailer should have brakes though...

Dave...

/ Looking for truck to tow John Deere 4210 #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 1/2 ton gas, can it do it, yes... safely maybe, confidently - have a change shorts handy and have your lawyer handy for a lawsuit cause your overweighted when in an accident. )</font>

Oh cmon now, surely you jest.

Your not going to be overwieght with that tractor and a 7k trailer using a 1/2 ton and yes it will be plenty safe. Just gete a trailer with brakes. One axle with brakes is fine but two is better.

/ Looking for truck to tow John Deere 4210 #8  
We do a lot of hauling compacts on landscape trailers and general construction stlye of coarse they are the lighter trailers. We never know when we will need to move equipment from one store to the otherand it's not that we don't have some bigger trucks but they are not always there. We mainly use 1/2 ton four wheel drive pickups and have good luck with them. Make sure you have good power and you should be fine. We often are hauling them 30 to 40 miles and we might not always be able to keep up with the traffic in some areas but we have't had any trouble. I think for the occasional user even two wheel drive on a 3/4 ton would work well.

/ Looking for truck to tow John Deere 4210 #9  
CTyler, I agree

People seem to forget that the new 1/2 tons have similar tow ratings and payload capacity to 1 tons from not that many years ago. There have been tremendous gains in power and payload on these trucks.

I have a 1 ton but for 90% of my chores a 1/2 ton would do fine AND be legal.

The top of the line ( biggest motor, tow package, susp. packege, etc.) 1/2 tons will tow that tractor and trailer safely with no problem. We're not talking about a tremendous ammount of towed weight or tongue weight here. These are baby tractors most of us have /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sure a diesel 1 ton or 3/4 ton is a great setup but asking everyone to spend 40K to tow a little tractor is overkill. It's not worth it for the average Joe who trailers the tractor a handful of times. If I was going to tow daily to a work site than it would be worth it considereing how much more wear and tear a diesel 1 ton can take. I don't think this what the poster needs unless he's using this for business daily.

Before I got my 1 ton I towed weight the equivalent of what is being considered here with a 1/2 ton, and it WAS safe from any standpoint be it legal or seat of the pants.

Telling guys that they now need a new $40,000 vehicle to tow their new $20,000 tratcor in for a yearly fluid change or to bring the tractor to a friends house once in a blue moon has got to be a frightening concept to a new or future owner. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Now the fellas up to 60K to replace his tired lawn tractor and have the convenience of an FEL. Let's face it that is what MANY of these tractors are to people.

/ Looking for truck to tow John Deere 4210 #10  
Yep 1/2 tons are fine like everyone said, I ran one for 4 years, 97 Chevy 350 4x4 ext cab. Did I like it, yes absolutely for ride and zero problems. Did I like towing anything near 5k, nope. Anything under 4k it was fine and easy on long trips, or even short city stop and go.

Could I haul anything decent in the bed, Nope. The tires are not really work tires for stock, most 3/4 have class E which i prefer. The hitch was a class 3, only rated for 5000 lbs, 500lb on hitch. Tow rating for most trucks are still GVWR for 6400lbs

The 4210 is 2800 lbs, if he would add a loader, 800lbs, brushhog 400lbs, chains/tiedowns 200lbs. Other trailer cargo 200lbs. Trailer 1500lbs respectively.

= 5900lbs trailer weight. He would need to swap his factory class 3 hitch for a bigger one. class 4/5. Unfortunately most people don't and this was the point I was making. I've seen many times people cruising on the road with a 1/2 ton pulling more than they should on the factory hitch. sad. If this guy was only pulling his tractor only, 1/2 would be a perfect match for cost wise. I truly believe he'll wish he had more down the road.

I agree with F350Lawman, he didn't state the purpose of the truck and its duties, so were assuming lots here. I always tell people to consider the road ahead. What about hauling some dirt/gravel in the bed? or pulling a horse/rv trailer in the future. Does he plan to keep it for atleast 5-7 years to recoupe the cost for diesel? Since states vary, yep F350 he will be legal, but you won't catch me near those guys running near max loads squatting the rear of there 1/2 truck.

I've think we've all read this over and over on truck and RV forums, but I consider a truck to stop the trailer. Yes, dual trailer axle brakes are the best, single will work fine. but has it ever happened to you that you had no trailer brakes? I personally feel a truck should resonably be able to stop the trailer by its own truck brakes in worst case senario. That why I always use my Exhaust Brake on loads over 5k (which is all the time), stopping distance cut in 1/2, cooler brakes, longer life, i still have the same front pads, 73k miles since last change. My 1/2 ton, every 27k they were shot.

40k... thats for a new one unfortunately. Yes its alot no doubt, but I only paid a 3rd of that for mine cause its used diesel $13.5k. There out there just had to find them w/good maintence records. I bought my 97 1/2 ton Chevy new, over $29k. Unless your pocket book is $$, I'm sure its no problem. Mine isn't, so I went used. Plus its paid for, taxes and insurance are lower to. I drive 70 miles a day, get 20 mpg, have the rig to tow when i need it. All I can say is, Life is good with my 3/4, the nice perks are its a Cummins.

Whether a gasser in a 3/4, or the new 1/2 HD Chevy makes.
The main question I asked myself....

"Do you feel safe around others on the road, including your own family in the vehicle with your children and/or friends?"

This was the over all factor for me. Hands down, I want my family to feel safe.

John