zero turn mower blades?

/ zero turn mower blades? #1  

Jpcjguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
Hi,

I have a 2012 Bobcat 52" FastCat mower. It has 3 18" blades. I would like to get another set to be able to swap easily.
What is a good brand for reasonable price - I am a homeowner, not a professional - and I cut about 1.5 acres. I live in Richmond, VA.

Thanks
joe

/ zero turn mower blades? #2  
You may want to look & compare here:Lawn Mower Parts, Military Surplus, and everything in between at Glen's Surplus I get them here for my Wheel Horse's, and are very good blades. Most, probably at least 80% are made by ROTARY Corp. down South anyway... I save about 40% over the WH dealer. I don't know if the shipping would make it worth it or not. It does for me, as I order 4 sets, 2 for each tractor, so it's worth it. for me.

Glen's buys production over runs, on many OEM mower items.

/ zero turn mower blades?
Thanks for the link. I emailed BobCat and they responded with the following:

" The blades on a BOB-CAT are off-set. That means they drop down from where they bolt on. This increases the distance from the top of the deck to increase air flow and protects the spindle as you’ll hit something with the blade rather than the spindle bolt. This increases the likelihood the operator will not break the spindle as they should back off as soon as they hear the blade hitting something or going over the crest of a trailer loading ramp. So in other-words if you go after-market for blades, the must be off-set like the original blades. We make 3 different style blades for your machine. Stock is high lift (part #112111-02), optional is a mulch blade (eliminator as we call them-part # 2722543-02) or low lift part # 112143-02 (typically used for leaf pick-up or sandy environments). The blades are heat treated Rc 48-52 steel that must bend 90 degrees without breaking. "

So when I do a search for the part number - 112111-02 - I get a bunch of results with all different looking blades - they all say "replaces 112111-02" - ha! just because it fits, does not mean it is a good blade or even the correct type! Unfortunately the closest dealer is 1 hour way. Argh!

/ zero turn mower blades? #5  
I have a Scag Tiger Cat. I always get my blades from my local dealer. Costs less than $50 for a set. I have 3 sets so there is (hopefully) always one sharp set ready to go when needed.

In my experience, my local dealer has always had better prices for OEM Scag parts than I could find online.

/ zero turn mower blades? #6  
A few years ago I got a cub cadet zero turn, came with mulch blades, at that point I had never heard of mulch blades, thought they just looked funny. every time I hit something they bent big time. almost impossible to straighten right. two months later at the dealer for third set I told the dealer this is crazy, blades on any other mower I had lasted years not weeks. he said try straight ones, I did and they are still in service. If I had not complained I think he would have smiled every time he saw me coming. my point being probably best to stay away from mulch blades.

/ zero turn mower blades? #7  
   / zero turn mower blades? #8  
Haven't used them enough to have a lot of experience yet, but I think I'm going to like the Arnold/MTD XTreme mulching blades. They were a great deal at Lowes, seem to be a good bit thicker than standard blades and actually do mulch up leaves and heavy clover.

- Jay

/ zero turn mower blades? #9  
Haven't used them enough to have a lot of experience yet, but I think I'm going to like the Arnold/MTD XTreme mulching blades. They were a great deal at Lowes, seem to be a good bit thicker than standard blades and actually do mulch up leaves and heavy clover.

- Jay
If they are the ones I'm thinking of, the teeth are twisted towards the outer end of the blade, which is just the opposite of what you want. You want the teeth to be twisted towards the blades center so they will throw the clippings in towards the center of the blade where they can be re-cut over and over, not thrown out towards the front of the deck into the airstream where they get cut once and thrown on out the chute. The Oregon Gator mulching blades (namely- the G5 and G6's) are the way to go. They are 3" wide, .250" thick, and are high lift and made from very tough steel (thick doesn't always mean strong or durable, especially in the cheaper blades sold at Lowe's), and they have carbide infused into the bottom edge of the cutting edge on the blade. They can be sharpened from the top side easily with a hand file though. They are not meant to be used with a full on mulch kit though, and that comes directly from Oregon's public rep. I mow for a living, so I have tried a lot of different blades and know many more guys who have tried other blades still.

These are oregon G6's for my Z950A Deere-

Attachments

• 100_1360.jpg
    100_1360.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 471