Loader position

/ Loader position #1  

corey9212

Platinum Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 3046R
Hello, I've been seeing this more and more and am trying to figure out why people are doing this and what the advantages and disadvantages are to doing this.

Putting the loader all the way up in the air while working in the field or traveling on the road.

I was always taught that you keep the loader low for stability and safety but I have been seeing more and more people driving around with them fully raised up. What is the reason behind this practice and is it really that safe? What's the advantages vs disadvantages to having it up in the air vs low to the ground?

/ Loader position #2  
You were taught the correct way! I think this is one of those things that people do without really thinking through...like driving around with the ROPS folded down just because they're on level ground, or aren't doing anything "dangerous"....just a bad idea.

/ Loader position #3  
You were taught the correct way! I think this is one of those things that people do without really thinking through...like driving around with the ROPS folded down just because they're on level ground, or aren't doing anything "dangerous"....just a bad idea.

X2 for me
I always keep it as low as possible.
Black

/ Loader position #4  
I raise mine up high when approaching a fence when mowing so I can get closer without hitting the fence but it goes back to about waist high when I clear the fence line. I also go high when going thru some narrow gates since the FEL is a bit wider than the tractor just to be on the safe side.
Some folks run the FEL almost on the ground when mowing an unknown parcel so that the FEL hits object first rather than a radiator or tires. I don't think I have seen anyone around here running their FEL all the time in highest position, but then here is all hills so it isn't a good idea to do that at any time.

/ Loader position
That's what I thought and it makes sense to me for stability and safety.

I raise mine up high when approaching a fence when mowing so I can get closer without hitting the fence but it goes back to about waist high when I clear the fence line. I also go high when going thru some narrow gates since the FEL is a bit wider than the tractor just to be on the safe side. Some folks run the FEL almost on the ground when mowing an unknown parcel so that the FEL hits object first rather than a radiator or tires. I don't think I have seen anyone around here running their FEL all the time in highest position, but then here is all hills so it isn't a good idea to do that at any time.

I understand raising it to clear obstacles and dropping it back down when clear but these guys are traveling and working their fields with them fully raised in the air and the roads traveled and fields being worked are not the smoothest or flattest by any means. One guy on the road even had a set of pallet forks on his loader.

/ Loader position #6  
I just like to work with no loader on at all. The tractor feels so much freer and more maneuverable. Newer tractors let you drop the loader in about a minute and reattach in about 1.5 minutes. There's no excuse for working with a loader when you don't need it.

/ Loader position #7  
I as well keep my loader low to the ground.

I as well see this often around me, but for the most part it is on a JD cab 6000 tractor with loaded rear tires and there is an empty hay spear on the end of the loader and not a bucket. I am amazed how stable these tractors.

A little off subject, but I would like to share this. A 10 acre property that a friend rents not far from me is shape like a funnel. He asked me to rotary cut it for him with my 5210 I said NO, I do not have enough pucker power. He laughed at me and drove his JD cab 6300 over with loaded rear tires an a 15 foot batwing on the back and gave me the keys and said try this tractor. I cut the whole 10 acres and in some case I had to go across the property as I could not go up and down and NOT once did I feel as if I would roll over. I had the seat belt on the whole time and ready to act if needed.

/ Loader position #8  
Depending on the bucket/loader perhaps they can see a lot better with it in the air? That's all I've got other than what has already been said. Seems like a good way to really throw off the balance of the tractor.

/ Loader position #9  
I always keep my loader down. I'll raise it a tad if I'm going down the road at cruising speed just to keep it from hitting when I go over a bump, but that's not what the heck up in the air.

/ Loader position
I just like to work with no loader on at all. The tractor feels so much freer and more maneuverable. Newer tractors let you drop the loader in about a minute and reattach in about 1.5 minutes. There's no excuse for working with a loader when you don't need it.

That's my theory, take the loader off when not in use, the ones in the field are pulling equipment so no need for the loader to be on (it is newer equipment so the loader should come off) but the ones on the road I can understand maybe they used it for something but to travel full speed with it way up in the air to me seems to be just asking for trouble.