1957 420 John Deere cuts off under load.

/ 1957 420 John Deere cuts off under load. #1  

dsmythe

Tractor
Ford, John Deere, Farmall
I have a 1957 John Deere 420 tractor that cuts off under a load or just going up a steep hill. When I disengage the clutch it just seems weaker and stops. It will restart without any problem. I usually have to shift into a lower gear to continue up the hill. I don't have a clue about this( Obviously ). Will you all PLEASE help?
Thank you in advance, Dsmythe

/ 1957 420 John Deere cuts off under load. #2  
Do you have enough fuel in the tank? Is the fuel shut off open and free flowing? What about the fuel filter, would be after market if it had one.

/ 1957 420 John Deere cuts off under load.
No filter, there is a sediment bowl, the tank is over half full. The shut off is open. I got a response from Yesterday's Tractor also, He said to change the plug, points, condenser, I guess that will be my next job.
Thank You for Your response, Dsmythe

/ 1957 420 John Deere cuts off under load. #4  
There is a screen at the top of the sediment bowl, it can get clogged.

/ 1957 420 John Deere cuts off under load. #5  
Are you noticing any black smoke when it starts to falter..?? If you've got a weak spark, could be the governor is giving it more fuel than it can burn, sort of flooding it out. Or, governor NOT working, and not giving it extra fuel when under a pull. Even the possibility of the centrifugal spark advance in the distributor not working properly.

Try the tune-up, and go from there. But do look close for small metal particles inside the distributor, in and around the base plate. Could be the remains of a ground up, broken weight spring.

/ 1957 420 John Deere cuts off under load.
Thank You All for the help, I have to work this weekend so it will be next week until I can look deeper into this "challenge".
Thank you again, Ya'll are Great!
Dsmythe