Basic necessities to have with your tractor

/ Basic necessities to have with your tractor #41  
Make sure you start a thread and post up some pics when you get it built. I"m always on the lookout for new ideas. :)
I'll try to do that. I have to close/clean up sugaring and get some wood cut before i can turn to any tractor modification projects.

/ Basic necessities to have with your tractor #42  
As for Larry's suggested location on the axle housing. Some tractors have room there but it's not gonna be a CUT or small Utility tractor.
I have as much room as anybody inside the fender. I still don't think it is a good place to put anything of value.

/ Basic necessities to have with your tractor #43  
I have as much room as anybody inside the fender.

You definitely win the prize for most room.

But would it be possible to relocate your fenders out closer to the tires and then have protected space on the axle housing?? :)

/ Basic necessities to have with your tractor #44  
You definitely win the prize for most room.

But would it be possible to relocate your fenders out closer to the tires and then have protected space on the axle housing?? :)
I've thought about that but remote valves and 3PH controls are mounted on the inside of the fenders so moving them out would be a major redesign project.
Now if you started with a clean sheet of paper and went for the maximum width without the 4.1 inch spacers I had put on you could still have 4.5 inches extra on each side of your cab /operators station width but owners would have to give up the narrow options. I think wide should be the standard and narrow something you order if needed and make compromises to achieve.Not the other way around.

/ Basic necessities to have with your tractor #45  
I've thought about that but remote valves and 3PH controls are mounted on the inside of the fenders so moving them out would be a major redesign project.
Now if you started with a clean sheet of paper and went for the maximum width without the 4.1 inch spacers I had put on you could still have 4.5 inches extra on each side of your cab /operators station width but owners would have to give up the narrow options. I think wide should be the standard and narrow something you order if needed and make compromises to achieve.Not the other way around.

I totally agree!!!! I didn't add spacers, but first thing I did was to set my tires out wider. New tractors are usually shipped set in for space. I understand that. But it's rare to see an operator running a tractor set in all the way. A guy near me bought a new 75C CaseIH. I asked him how he liked it. He said it was great except it's very unstable on slopes. I run a road grader and we were standing by the grader in front of his house talking. I looked over by his fuel tank where the tractor was parked. It was set in all the way. I said you'll gain a lot of stability if you set it out wider. He looked at me like I was an alien. I'm guessing he'll never change it and always complain about it's instability. If he lives that long.

/ Basic necessities to have with your tractor #46  
I totally agree!!!! I didn't add spacers, but first thing I did was to set my tires out wider. New tractors are usually shipped set in for space. I understand that. But it's rare to see an operator running a tractor set in all the way. A guy near me bought a new 75C CaseIH. I asked him how he liked it. He said it was great except it's very unstable on slopes. I run a road grader and we were standing by the grader in front of his house talking. I looked over by his fuel tank where the tractor was parked. It was set in all the way. I said you'll gain a lot of stability if you set it out wider. He looked at me like I was an alien. I'm guessing he'll never change it and always complain about it's instability. If he lives that long.
I have received that same look. I don't know how to get the message across in time. Mine set as wide as it is is quite stable and it saves a lot of stress when I'm out on the back lot by myself cutting and skidding logs. I'm trying to put off the Mrs. being a widow as long as possible.

/ Basic necessities to have with your tractor #47  
I don't really carry much on my tractor. Hearing protection, the 3PH pins, and - most importantly for me - I have a seat belt cutter on the key chain so that I can free myself if I ever have the really bad misfortune of flipping on the ROPS. I figure my weight on the belt will likely lock up the buckle.

My property isn't really that big (5 acres) so tools aren't that far away.

If the original question was more focused on accessories, a lot depends on your own needs, but I'll put in a word for Pat's Easy Change 3PH system. Mine makes hooking up the 3PH soo much easier.

/ Basic necessities to have with your tractor #48  
I have received that same look. I don't know how to get the message across in time. Mine set as wide as it is is quite stable and it saves a lot of stress when I'm out on the back lot by myself cutting and skidding logs. I'm trying to put off the Mrs. being a widow as long as possible.

Me too. I'm not nearly as wide as you and the changes I made only moved each rear tire out about 5". But it makes a LOT of difference in the timber.

/ Basic necessities to have with your tractor #49  
Me too. I'm not nearly as wide as you and the changes I made only moved each rear tire out about 5". But it makes a LOT of difference in the timber.
I limited my widening to comply with our narrowest field gate opening -- 8'

Last edited:
   / Basic necessities to have with your tractor #50