Just Purchase My First John Deere Tractor!

/ Just Purchase My First John Deere Tractor! #1  

bravo2zero

Silver Member
Tractor
I just came home from the dealer after making a purchase on the John Deere 5085 w/ FEL and a third function added for the Grapple. I had them include a MX8 pull behind rather than the 3pt (I was told this would give me a better cut than a 10ft pull behind) and would be much easier to hook up? I was told from an individual that you could replace the bush hog blades to a finish mower blades to give a more plush cut and change back if need be. Not certain if this is true or not?

I also had them include a CD AM/FM Blue Tooth Radio, Air Ride (seating), Buddy Seat for our first newborn and my wife. ;) I also purchased a spreader too. It has all the bells and whistles that I'll need.

One problem is that it will take about 2-3 weeks from Georgia to get it here due to the third function being installed for the grapple. I will post pictures once it arrives. Our sales guy has been great and just an all around nice fellow. He sold me our 997 two years ago and never had a problem with it! Now I'm nervous waiting on the arrival. I went with the after market grapple made from Frontier aka John Deere?

Is there anything I should have purchased that I didn't or any advice would be much appreciated. Nonetheless, I am excited!!! :D

/ Just Purchase My First John Deere Tractor! #2  
Congrats on the new tractor. That sounds like a really top notch setup you're gonna have. The 8 ft. pull-type cutter sounds good to me although most people seem to prefer 3 pt implements. I grew up with pull-type equipment, so it doesn't bother me.

I sure wish a buddy seat was offered on my tractor.

Did you ask the dealer to load the rear tires? Also, how many sets of rear remotes does it come with. You will need at least one set for the hydraulic cylinder that controls the rockshaft that adjusts the height of the cutter. And you'll want at least one more set for other things such as a hydraulic top link perhaps.

/ Just Purchase My First John Deere Tractor! #3  
Congratulations, sounds like a nice tractor!
Gonna be a exhausting 2 to 3weeks waiting ;)

/ Just Purchase My First John Deere Tractor! #4  
I agree, that sounds like a great set up. I think you are referring to the MX8 semi mount vs the full 3 pt mounted version though. Not a pull behind. The semi mount uses wheels to carry the rear of the deck that are controlled by hydraulics, and the lower draft arms of the tractor carry the front end of the mower. The entire deck is raised and lowered using the draft arms and wheels via a level lift system. That's the version I would prefer between the two you mentioned.

I do not believe you can replace the blades with finish blades, at least not easily or recommended. Maybe something has changed that I am unaware of, but I don't think so.

/ Just Purchase My First John Deere Tractor!
On the MX8, it takes a couple minutes to attach and you are ready to go. It is a pull behind and not the 3 pt mounted version. I was told it would give a better cut because it will travel the land vs the 3 pt that can cut uneven. I was told that you can not lift the entire mowing deck off the ground, like you can the 3 pt and this can be an advantage and disadvantage I guess?

I have the grapple coming too. It is the AV20 Series Root Grapple. Anyone have one and have any comments? It isn't that large, I think 62 inches in width.

Yes I am very excited and it is going to be a long couple weeks to 3. Gosh, I feel like a kid at Christmas!

/ Just Purchase My First John Deere Tractor! #6  
I see on JD's site that they do make a pull type MX8 now. In some of my older brochures, the MX10 was the only one listed as available in all three styles of mounting.

@RG1, and that is the one I am getting :) ... Do you think you can get a decent cut rather than the 3 PT? In fact the pull behind is more expensive.

/ Just Purchase My First John Deere Tractor! #8  
I doubt there'll be much, if any difference between them as far as the actual cut goes on equal ground. The difference would be in the pull behind version following the ground contours better, so the cut should be better.

Thanks and looking forward to getting the tractor home.

/ Just Purchase My First John Deere Tractor! #10  
Congratulations on your new tractor, that is a really popular model and you can't beat the instructor seat, one won't fit in or Kubota M8540 and we miss it.

As to the 8'/10', we have never had an MX, but tried out, but tried an 8' quite a few years ago then bought a 10' Woods 121 3PH. About four years ago, we needed a heavier duty cutter and bought a Woods DS1260 pull type. We have been very happy with it and even in our hills, we get a really good cut, I've even mowed my son's yard with it a few times; not as good as a finish mower, but not bad.

I can't imagine swapping blades.

We have two sets of rear remotes and wish we had gone with three as we do a lot of dirt work and would like a Top and Tilt like we have on our L5740.

We will be looking forward to pictures when it is delivered.