Not sure why? ford 1600

/ Not sure why? ford 1600 #1  

BryanM

Gold Member
Tractor
John deere 2155, ford 1600
I am not sure why this happens? I have a ford 1600 4x4 with loader. when I am running this tractor with an implement such as a 5ft bushhog I cannot stop the tractor with the clutch until the implement is done turning! for example if I come to the end of a field that I am cutting and pto is engaged and I press down on the clutch as long as the pto is engaged it drives the whole tractor?

Can someone explain this ?

/ Not sure why? ford 1600 #2  
I am not sure why this happens? I have a ford 1600 4x4 with loader. when I am running this tractor with an implement such as a 5ft bushhog I cannot stop the tractor with the clutch until the implement is done turning! for example if I come to the end of a field that I am cutting and pto is engaged and I press down on the clutch as long as the pto is engaged it drives the whole tractor?

Can someone explain this ?

I believe that what you need is called an overrunning clutch bolted onto your PTO between the PTO and the cutter's shaft. That heavy flywheel spinning behind you overpowers the tractors ability to stop, even with the clutch depressed.

I could be wrong tho...

Anyone else want to chime in???

Lunk

/ Not sure why? ford 1600 #3  
some tractors have 2 pto positions one of them is ground speed driven

/ Not sure why? ford 1600 #4  
I believe that what you need is called an overrunning clutch bolted onto your PTO between the PTO and the cutter's shaft. That heavy flywheel spinning behind you overpowers the tractors ability to stop, even with the clutch depressed.

I could be wrong tho...

Anyone else want to chime in???

Lunk

I think you are correct. Most modern tractors have the over running clutch internally.

Without the over running clutch, the inertia of the spinning mower is powering the tractor. It's hooked DIRECTLY to the transmission via the back output shaft. Putting the clutch in, does nothing. Many soiled pairs of under ware due to new operators finding out the hard way .

/ Not sure why? ford 1600
Ok I will get one. Is there aparticular one that is better than the other? and I see there are 2 sizes, does anyone know what size it would be?

/ Not sure why? ford 1600 #6  
Ok I will get one. Is there aparticular one that is better than the other? and I see there are 2 sizes, does anyone know what size it would be?

You should have standard 540 RPM PTO on that tractor.

IIRC it's a 1 3/8" shaft.

Good luck!

Lunk

/ Not sure why? ford 1600 #7  

Make sure you get one with the same number of splines as on your PTO shaft. normally
6 splines. the 21 spline is usually for larger and 1000 rpm shafts.