Opinions Wanted - Brush Cutting

/ Opinions Wanted - Brush Cutting #11  
Yes you "can" do it, but I sure wouldn't want to. I would rent or pay someone for the initial clearing.

Along the lines of YardBikeBob, decide in advance your plans, you mentioned hunting, so cutting everything down sure isn't going to leave anything for wildlife. We created wildlife friendly property with combination of trees, brush, warm season grasses etc. We now have paths through it and do rotating controlled burns and clearing as needed.

/ Opinions Wanted - Brush Cutting #12  
I would ideally like to take my time and work with what I have, which would be the tractor above and a 4ft rotary mower?.Let me know your thoughts.

What's the point of owning a tractor & mower, then rent other eqpt to do its job? All the transport and fees and the time to call around to organize that transaction, then the money too? While your own eqpt is already there, not earning its keep. I like to do a couple acres in the spring and a couple in the fall. I enjoy watching it grow back, and try to do repeat work only on the trouble spots. The more you mow the more you have to mow again. But I only mow for the look, have no good excuse otherwise, you may have other goals.

/ Opinions Wanted - Brush Cutting #13  
I concur with either renting or purchasing larger equipment such as a skid steer or tractor with a brush cutter of sufficient size to get the job done yourself OR hiring the job done. Think about the wear and tear on the smaller machine. It is probably strong enough to do the work but at what long term wear? Especially, considering the hours the smaller machine will be worked to accomplish the same work a larger machine can do in a fraction of the time.

Maintenance after the initial clean up, the smaller machine can be used. In our neck of the woods, it is better to do that kind of cleanup after frost and before new growth in the spring. The green stuff will be dried out and will pulverize better. Plus the likelihood of stirring up yellow jackets or ground wasps is much smaller. You haven't known pain until you get a yellow jacket or five under your hat and you get stung several times about the head and neck......don't ask how I know! LOL

/ Opinions Wanted - Brush Cutting #14  
Our(combined property of brother in law and myself) 42 acres was overgrown worse than that when we bought it. He started out hiring a guy to cut about 20 acres of it as we had no tractor or equipment at the time. He ended up buying the mowing guy's 750 JD with 4 foot bush hog. It was slow going with the 750 but it got the job done. Several days of cutting but it was mostly in 1st gear due to the thick foliage and large saplings. The JD had turf tires so none of the low spots got mowed. I later bought a Vietnam rebuild Yanmar 4220 with 6 foot BH and that cut the mowing time down considerably and with the R1 tires and 4 WD I was able to mow all the swamps also. After we got all the trash weeds and swamp grass down, we got cows on it and they keep most of it grazed down. We mow about once a year now to control weeds that cows don't eat.
You should have no problem mowing that down with the Kubota. Just take your time and if there is a possibility of rocks or stumps, lower the FEL to about 4-6" above grade, go slow if you cant see the ground and get it done.

Don't worry about trying to get it all in one day or one weekend. Take several weekends if needed. I sure wouldn't rent any equipment when you have a perfectly capable machine setting there.

/ Opinions Wanted - Brush Cutting #15  
Another trick that has saved me a lot of 'hard' walking is 'to' cut roads or mow in a large grid pattern in the light easy going areas before starting the inch by inch approach. That way if I got stuck, hung on a blind stump, etc it was easier to walk out and get back with another tractor or truck.

Some seem to forget some of us cleaned up farms like this before the bush hog was even invented. There was the single bit ax or double bit ax. :)

We had a 21" push mower purchased new in 1955 and dad was always volunteering me to 'help' out the old folks in the community. I told him I could never keep that much grass mowed with that small of a push mower. He said NEVER is a mighty long time and that a small mower would mow it like a wide mower if I went around enough times.

/ Opinions Wanted - Brush Cutting #16  

Attachments

• DSC00180.jpg
    DSC00180.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
  • DSC00129.jpg
    DSC00129.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0495.JPG
    IMG_0495.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
   / Opinions Wanted - Brush Cutting #17  
Some seem to forget some of us cleaned up farms like this before the bush hog was even invented. There was the single bit ax or double bit ax. :)

Not me, I grew up using an ax, cross cut saw, Kaiser Blade and briar scythe.:)

/ Opinions Wanted - Brush Cutting #18  
If you have ever used a scythe you will always appreciate what a wonder a weed eater is.

/ Opinions Wanted - Brush Cutting #19  
brush cutters eat stemmy and irregular weeds pretty easilly.. way easier than lush tall grass.

get a mower suited to your hp.. or buy an old ford 801 series and hope for power stering and then get a 6' cutter and leave it to take care of the property.

/ Opinions Wanted - Brush Cutting #20  
About 10 years ago I bought a 23 acre farm than had been in foreclosure for many 3 or more years. It looked a lot like what you have probably worse, most of the growth was taller than me ( 6 foot ). I did the first year of mowing with my BX 2200 and a 60 inch belly mower. Not the best choice but that is what I had at the time. I now own Kioti 45 that I mow with, not because of capability mainly time and other uses.
I would not think twice about mowing your property with your tractor. Kubotas are tough. Stay aweigh from big stuff 3/4 inch and larger. A 4 foot bush hog would be ideal.
Be careful mowing a new unknow property. You may find large holes, rock, old equipment, fences or anything else. Also watch out for sheared off stumps of smaller trees 1/2 to 3/4 you can punch a hole in your tire.
I am sure many here will disagree but I did this several years and 500 hours ago on BX. It still runs and mows like new with no parts replaced. I do maintain my stuff very well.
Hope this helps
Scott