Proper Clutch Use on a Tractor

/ Proper Clutch Use on a Tractor #1  

irsmun

Bronze Member
Tractor
2013 Mahindra 4530 4WD
I bought a shear implement for my tractor. In trying to learn how to use it I noticed there is a lot more clutch use. For instance, you have to ease up to the tree, stop forward motion (by using the clutch) and shear. Then repeat. I also noticed, depending on the factors of approach I either fully clutch, apply brake and hold, and then shear or I semi-clutch to keep the tractor in place and then shear. It will happen all day long. So the question is, what is the best way to use the clutch in order not to burn it out? I realize that the half clutch use rubs more but I figure a tractor clutch is designed knowing this is a frequent move. Does holding down all the way cause any wear or just half way?

So many questions. This implement is best used with a skid steer since the clutching is a non issue.

/ Proper Clutch Use on a Tractor #2  
Slipping the clutch, were it is part way in, part way out is what wears a clutch.

/ Proper Clutch Use on a Tractor #3  
Can you push in clutch and hold with brake? If you can do that, put transmission in neutral, let out clutch and hold with brake. Like said above, slipping the clutch wears it, holding it in wears the throw out bearing.

/ Proper Clutch Use on a Tractor #4  
I have never heard of Semi-clutching. I think you are slipping the clutch while using it to hold the tractor in position. That is what the brakes are for. My father taught me to drive his 59 chevy when I was a kid and he always told me, "when you let the clutch out, let it all the way out and keep your foot off of it until you are ready to push it in". Since then I have had a lot of vehicles with clutches, including my current tractor, and I have never had clutch problems. I think you need to follow my dads advice.

/ Proper Clutch Use on a Tractor
yes "semi clutching" is my non-technical term for riding the clutch. Since the tractor needs to move and stop, move and stop frequently to use the shear its hard not to do it. If I move forward, clutch, brake, shift neutral, release clutch, shear, re-engage every time I am afraid I might tie my arms and legs in knot...plus I think that will remove much of the efficiency. The shear cycles in about 1 second and is ready to cut again.

Looks like I would need the hydrostatic transmission.

Last edited:
   / Proper Clutch Use on a Tractor #6  
Does the shear use the pto or just run off tractor hyd system? Full clutch will disengage pto as well. Keep that in mind.

For the short time it takes to shear, I would just hold the clutch firmly 'in', so the disks are free to rotate without pressure/slippage, causing wear. You are likely shifting at the same time perhaps? While using the brakes to keep the tractor stopped, use the shear, while clutch is in, and shift from forward to rev or as needed...

/ Proper Clutch Use on a Tractor
Its operated by hydraulic. My machine has and independent clutch for the PTO. The main clutch does not affect it.

I do think your description would be the way to do it. Practice should make it faster. Sadly, when in an uphill position using the clutch will be the only option. Its not like you ride it very long but you do it often. I am wondering what kind of life I can expect out of a clutch that is used often.

/ Proper Clutch Use on a Tractor #8  
Use the clutch to move, but not to hold. That's what the brakes are for.

/ Proper Clutch Use on a Tractor #9  
+1 ^
Brakes are cheap to replace, clutch repair gets expensive!