Chains Tight chains...Loose chains...

/ Tight chains...Loose chains... #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
This afternoon I noticed my neighbor's truck was sitting up where our driveways meet at the road...a little close to the oak tree...

I walked up and he was not there, but it was obvious that the truck was at the wrong angle and close to the tree...

Looked down his driveway, and saw he was getting his tractor out...I gave him a hand getting the truck away from that tree.

His tractor is a international 454 I think. Pretty big compared to my little Kubota. I think he told me 38 PTO hp. Anyway, he had his chains on. I have tensioners on mine. Mine are real tight. His were real sloppy. The chains actually fell off the tire as the tractor moved. Not sideway, just away from the tread.

I am sure this must be really good for clearing snow/ice off the tire surface. I remember someone here mentioning that he did not use tight chains on his tractor, that loose was better.

It would not work on a road vehicle, but for a slow moving tractor...to tell the truth, I think I have become a believer!

Next winter I may just leave my tensioners off, and hook my chains up loose and see what happens!

Well, maybe not...come to think of it...I don't have much clearance on my B2910, on the inside between the tire and fender.

Loose VS tight...where do you stand?

/ Tight chains...Loose chains... #2  
<font color="blue"> Loose VS tight...where do you stand?
</font>

OK, its now Saturday evening, I have had dinner and a few drinks and I don't think i'm even going to touch that one Henro..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a good evening!

/ Tight chains...Loose chains... #3  
Bill; If you talk to any old farmer, logger, etc. they will tell that loose chains will give you the most traction. I have never been able to keep the tensioners off mine, though. I guess I am too nervous about the chains coming loose and wrapping around the axle, and so forth. Most log skidders and farm tractors have much more clearance than our Kubotas.
Will

/ Tight chains...Loose chains... #4  
Henro -- I had mine loose for about a week...till the chains caught the wiring to one of my hazard lights and ripped them loose. Now, the chains are back to being tight...though I use the cheap method of tensioning.

For those interested in the Norse ice chains, attached is a good view of the business end.

Pete

Attachments

• 347377-Chains1.jpg
    347377-Chains1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 324
   / Tight chains...Loose chains...
Pete,

Those chains are pretty impressive!

After posting above, I realized that I don't have clearance on my little B2910 to leave my chains loose...too bad! Sure would make putting them on easier without having to worry about putting the tensioners on... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Tight chains...Loose chains... #6  
when i had chains the way i liked to set them was to keep trnsioners on so the chain could not walk off the tire, but the cross sections of the chain(across the tread) was loose, so they could clear and move.