Stepped off, and it almost tipped over (lifting a snowmobile) !

/ Stepped off, and it almost tipped over (lifting a snowmobile) ! #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Kubota B2710 lifting a 475 lb snowmobile on the brushfork.

378575d1402291486-stepped-off-almost-tipped-over-b2710_skidoo800r_16-jpg

I started to step off (to take a pic) and my weight leaving the tractor started it to tip. I leaned out to try to stop it but it kept going, until it came up against the stops on the front axle WHEW!. Was just about to throw the FEL down, which would have dropped the snowmobile.

I sat there for a moment realizing it was stable, and then carefully stepped off completely because now I HAD to take a pic. I pushed on it a little to confirm it was stable, and it was, so I quickly took a pic and climbed back on, and lowered the loader very very slowly, and the rear wheel came down.

I need to build a 3-pt ballast ASAP, thinking about just casting it in concrete. Does anybody have suggestions how heavy it needs to be?

Attachments

• B2710_Skidoo800R_16.jpg
    B2710_Skidoo800R_16.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 21,969
   / Stepped off, and it almost tipped over (lifting a snowmobile) ! #2  
The BX2360 loader manual says somewhere around 450 pounds maximum rear ballast. I would suspect yours needs between 500 and 600 pounds.

Bruce

/ Stepped off, and it almost tipped over (lifting a snowmobile) ! #3  
just look at the physics here! Counterweight is a must if doing anything serious with your FEL.

/ Stepped off, and it almost tipped over (lifting a snowmobile) ! #4  
Not trying to be the safety police but your one lucky son of a gun.Are your rear tires loaded?If not DO IT.How about getting a REAR BALLAST BOX?I would have NEVER got off that tractor for a pic.I would have sat my arse down and got that snowmobile on the ground ASAP.

Last edited:
   / Stepped off, and it almost tipped over (lifting a snowmobile) ! #5  
Why is the loader so high. Carry your load low and get some counterweight. Good way to twist the loader arms and tractor frame.

/ Stepped off, and it almost tipped over (lifting a snowmobile) ! #6  
Maybe you should have had the hoe on, and the stabilizers down for
this type of work. I'm sure this has happened to many owners.
It is scary when it does happen, thanks for the photo.

/ Stepped off, and it almost tipped over (lifting a snowmobile) ! #7  
Use rear ballast.
Your front axle will thank you.

/ Stepped off, and it almost tipped over (lifting a snowmobile) ! #8  
I have a feeling the truck has something to do with it. I don't think I have ever had the wheels off the ground but it sure felt like it and the pucker factor was high....I can only imagine.

I think you have the lesson learned.....I learn almost every day on mine....sometimes it costs money, sometimes a little work, most time just a few more hart beats.

/ Stepped off, and it almost tipped over (lifting a snowmobile) ! #9  
Kubota B2710 lifting a 475 lb snowmobile on the brushfork.

378575d1402291486-stepped-off-almost-tipped-over-b2710_skidoo800r_16-jpg

I started to step off (to take a pic) and my weight leaving the tractor started it to tip. I leaned out to try to stop it but it kept going, until it came up against the stops on the front axle WHEW!. Was just about to throw the FEL down, which would have dropped the snowmobile.

I sat there for a moment realizing it was stable, and then carefully stepped off completely because now I HAD to take a pic. I pushed on it a little to confirm it was stable, and it was, so I quickly took a pic and climbed back on, and lowered the loader very very slowly, and the rear wheel came down.

I need to build a 3-pt ballast ASAP, thinking about just casting it in concrete. Does anybody have suggestions how heavy it needs to be?

I sure hope the naysayers view this. As all can see from the photo, it is a long way from tipping over when the front axle hits the stops.

I have been trying to tell folks that the front axle does help in tipping situations but all I get is, "IT swivels and by the time it hits, it is too far gone" Well this photo proves that it isn't too far and the front axle definitely does help prevent a roll over. Putting ballast in the front tires would certainly help also.

/ Stepped off, and it almost tipped over (lifting a snowmobile) ! #10  
Thank you for getting off to snap the pic!
There are lots of threads about ballast boxes, weights, loading tires, etc. But not many pics like this.
Jim