Math Wizards ... any way to figure out this loader question?

/ Math Wizards ... any way to figure out this loader question? #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Ok, so I was moving around some concrete slabs with my 42" forks. This particular slab was 72" wide X 66" deep X 4" (avg) thickness. So we're looking at roughly 11cu/ft of cement. Allegedly the avg weight of cement is 150lbs per cuft... So, 1650lbs overall weight.

So here's the question... being that my forks extend 42", but the slab is 66" deep, and 24" was hanging forward of the forks... is there a way to determine what that same slab would weigh if it was the same volume but 42" deep?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what the max weight is that I could lift on a pallet (someone wants me to lift 2500 for them but I'm skeptical I can, being that my forks already weigh several hundred lbs). Obviously a pallet only reaches 48" depth, so I'm wondering how much this slab actually "weighs" due to the extension beyond the fork tips.

Thoughts?

ForumRunner_20140611_220533.png

ForumRunner_20140611_220545.png

ForumRunner_20140611_220609.png

/ Math Wizards ... any way to figure out this loader question? #2  
How high do you want to lift it? Do you know what the ratings are for 1.5m 60" at the pins and 500 or 800 mm forward? If you're only trying to get it off the ground was is break out force at pins and 500 mm forward?

/ Math Wizards ... any way to figure out this loader question? #3  
I'll admit I'm confused by what you are asking. You ask for the same volume but then want to change the thickness dimension. Volume includes all 3 dimensions, so....I don't get it.

The weight is irrelevant to the length of the forks. The effect of the weight in relation to the tractor and the resulting leverage it has should be equivalent to the entire weight at exactly 1/2 the distance from the back of the bucket to the furthest distance out that the block reaches.

/ Math Wizards ... any way to figure out this loader question?
How high do you want to lift it? Do you know what the ratings are for 1.5m 60" at the pins and 500 or 800 mm forward? If you're only trying to get it off the ground was is break out force at pins and 500 mm forward?

I'll have to look up those numbers later .. don't have them with me now. Just want to lift it high enough to move it. Basically, someone has a boiler they want placed, so I'll be using the forks, keeping it low, and trying to move it. I just don't know if this tractor can really fork lift 2500.

From memory, I believe the max lift is 2527 @ pins (full height @ 113"), and breakout is around 2700 @ 19.7" (This Massey bucket is long-bottomed).

Something odd about this loader, it actually feels stronger once you get it off the ground, unlike my LS loader, which clearly had less "lift" strength than breakout force... If that makes sense.

I'll admit I'm confused by what you are asking. You ask for the same volume but then want to change the thickness dimension. Volume includes all 3 dimensions, so....I don't get it.

The weight is irrelevant to the length of the forks. The effect of the weight in relation to the tractor and the resulting leverage it has should be equivalent to the entire weight at exactly 1/2 the distance from the back of the bucket to the furthest distance out that the block reaches.

Yes, change dimensions to retain same volume. Does the "longer" item, extending 26" past the tips of the forks, create more leveraged weight, than the same item (change overall dimensions to retain volume) with only 42" depth so it doesn't extend past the fork tips?

/ Math Wizards ... any way to figure out this loader question? #6  
The force is weight times distance. The distance is the center of gravity for the object, and the weight is the weight of the object.
So, your concrete slab is 66", but the center of gravity (assuming the object is the same thickness throughout) is 33".
The pallet has a depth of 48", with a center of gravity being at 24".

So, in theory, you should be able to lift (33/24)*1650 = 2269 lbs.
However, that is assuming that the point the force is applied is the back of the forks, which is not complete true. Maybe if you just need to curl it, that would be valid, but in actuality, it is probably not.

So, let's assume the force is from the attachment point of the hydraulic arm to the loader arm. For all intents and purposes, let's call that 36" from there to the back of the forks. Negating any weight of the forks or loader, our center of gravity will be 69" for the slab and 60" for the pallet.

Now, the calculation is a lot different. Using this, you are only going to be able to life (69/60)*1650 = 1898 lbs.

I've made a lot of assumptions to come to these numbers, but you should get the idea. If you were pushing it to lift that 1650 lbs, I don't think you will lift 2500.

/ Math Wizards ... any way to figure out this loader question? #7  
TSO,
I would give it a try if it is an old boiler being removed, if it is a new boiler to be installed I wouldn't risk it.

/ Math Wizards ... any way to figure out this loader question? #8  
Yes, change dimensions to retain same volume. Does the "longer" item, extending 26" past the tips of the forks, create more leveraged weight, than the same item (change overall dimensions to retain volume) with only 42" depth so it doesn't extend past the fork tips?

Oh I see what you want now. I think fordmantpw nailed it.

I've made a lot of assumptions to come to these numbers, but you should get the idea. If you were pushing it to lift that 1650 lbs, I don't think you will lift 2500.

Thanks for the perspective. As for the slab, I didn't have too much trouble lifting it. Not sure how much more the Tractor would have listed, but this certainly wasn't the max.

/ Math Wizards ... any way to figure out this loader question? #10  
I'll have to look up those numbers later .. don't have them with me now. Just want to lift it high enough to move it. Basically, someone has a boiler they want placed, so I'll be using the forks, keeping it low, and trying to move it. I just don't know if this tractor can really fork lift 2500.

From memory, I believe the max lift is 2527 @ pins (full height @ 113"), and breakout is around 2700 @ 19.7" (This Massey bucket is long-bottomed).

Something odd about this loader, it actually feels stronger once you get it off the ground, unlike my LS loader, which clearly had less "lift" strength than breakout force... If that makes sense.

Hi TSO,
It looks like you may have figured this one out already but considering your looking to lift 2500lbs off the ground and your loader is rated at 2700 lbs 19.7 mm forward and that the pallet frame probably moves the forks 8" forward of the pins this would mean your the cg of the boiler could be nor more than about 12-13" forward of the fork frame. if symmetrical this would mean the boiler could not be more than about 26" deep.

What about some pallet forks for the rear 3pt that might get the job done but more cost