Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #11  
I've never run any kind of hog so I can only imagine what you're up against there. But when I was a kid I ran just about everything through the old JD 110 mower. Barbed wire was bad, but bailer twine was almost worse . because it didn't kill the engine like the barbed wire did. No it wrapped quite a few more revolutions right up tight in the spindle where you could hardly fit a knife blade in between.

Tire chains and log chains made a lot of noise. You might think I was very careless doing this but the grass was 3 feet tall. I was going as slow as I could, and had walked through areas to find stuff first. One of them was after my dad had walked it. This wasn't all at once, but scattered over many years as we would try to open up more area.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #12  
Part of it is too many have no concept of rural life...

I remember as a kid of 4 picking up a stick and tossing it into a field... I learned very quickly from my Uncle never to that again... he had hay and grass fields for his cows and it seemed every country kid knew better.

He mowed everything with a sickle bar mower and it doesn't take much to damage one.

Last weekend I found some kids tossing rocks into the field and let them know exactly how I felt about it...

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709
Part of it is too many have no concept of rural life...

I remember as a kid of 4 picking up a stick and tossing it into a field... I learned very quickly from my Uncle never to that again... he had hay and grass fields for his cows and it seemed every country kid knew better.

He mowed everything with a sickle bar mower and it doesn't take much to damage one.

Last weekend I found some kids tossing rocks into the field and let them know exactly how I felt about it...

I'm constantly giving my kids the tossing rocks/sticks speech. They're getting much better. One thing that drives me totally nuts is the morons who throw trash out their window on the roadside. It always makes it into the fields, it never ceases to amaze me how one paper bag turns into 50 stinking pieces when mowed over, drives me insane.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #14  
The plastic bags are a problem here and they tend to wrapped tightly around the spindle.

A little off topic... I bent the shaft of my Honda walk behind mower helping a friend... they bought a home and asked if I could mow because the moving company wouldn't be there for 2 more days and their homeowner's insurance company was coming out to inspect.

I hit several horseshoes in a pile, the tossing kind, in the grass and that was it... mower would still run... only it now shook violently and putting on a new blade made no difference...

No good deed goes unpunished... at least I was the one doing the mowing.

Still got the mower... and often wondered if I would be wasting my time trying to straighten the crank?

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #15  
Yes.

Jim

The plastic bags are a problem here and they tend to wrapped tightly around the spindle.

A little off topic... I bent the shaft of my Honda walk behind mower helping a friend... they bought a home and asked if I could mow because the moving company wouldn't be there for 2 more days and their homeowner's insurance company was coming out to inspect.

I hit several horseshoes in a pile, the tossing kind, in the grass and that was it... mower would still run... only it now shook violently and putting on a new blade made no difference...

No good deed goes unpunished... at least I was the one doing the mowing.

Still got the mower... and often wondered if I would be wasting my time trying to straighten the crank?

That stinks, my Mom hit a stump with her push mower years back, bent the crank shaft, cheaper to by a new mower. Bending it back, nope, that puppy will never be the same.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #17  
I'm kinda paranoid about the dangers of fencing wire so I am always very careful when cutting or unrolling it. I know a woman who lost an eye when a working with fence wire. It skewered her eye and popped it out like an oyster. Its very springy and can whip unpredictably in any direction when its cut. So I always wear eye protection and try to keep my face well away from any loose ends.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #18  
...One thing that drives me totally nuts is the morons who throw trash out their window on the roadside. It always makes it into the fields, it never ceases to amaze me how one paper bag turns into 50 stinking pieces when mowed over, drives me insane.

I bought about 200 4x5 bales of hay last year that were baled on a corner lot at a somewhat busy intersection. I couldn't tell you how many d*mn McDonalds cups, bags, ect. I picked up when feeding. Ticks me off big time.

Several years ago I was mowing hay on some land that was usually pasture. It wasn't my farm. I was going along good and all the sudden there was this awful sound from the disc mower. Upon inspection I found about half a roll of barbed wire, that had been still on the spool, wrapped around the two end pods. That required a trip to the tool box, removing the pods and a pair of side cutters to fix.

I'm kinda paranoid about the dangers of fencing wire so I am always very careful when cutting or unrolling it. I know a woman who lost an eye when a working with fence wire. It skewered her eye and popped it out like an oyster. Its very springy and can whip unpredictably in any direction when its cut. So I always wear eye protection and try to keep my face well away from any loose ends.

Yes it is, definately no fun removing while on your back under a 7ft deck

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #20  
While they are not very destructive, I've come to know the sound of a tennis ball bouncing around the mower deck. :eek:
The dog needs to learn to pick up her toys.