Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #21  
Hitting wire with a mower is no fun. One time I was mowing with a bat wing mower and wrapped up about 30 feet of power line the electric company left laying in a ditch. It's aluminum but there was so much of it wrapped so tight it took all day to cut it out. :mad:

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #22  
Guy in our town was bush hogging, ran over a WATER hose, YES a water hose, slung it around and grapped his arm and took it right off at the shoulder. Pulled it right out of the socket. No putting it back. Only one arm now. Bad things can happen.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #23  
The plastic bags are a problem here and they tend to wrapped tightly around the spindle.

A little off topic... I bent the shaft of my Honda walk behind mower helping a friend... they bought a home and asked if I could mow because the moving company wouldn't be there for 2 more days and their homeowner's insurance company was coming out to inspect.

I hit several horseshoes in a pile, the tossing kind, in the grass and that was it... mower would still run... only it now shook violently and putting on a new blade made no difference...

No good deed goes unpunished... at least I was the one doing the mowing.

Still got the mower... and often wondered if I would be wasting my time trying to straighten the crank?

You're not the only one to do that. My mower shook so bad afterwards it made my hands go numb.

That stinks, my Mom hit a stump with her push mower years back, bent the crank shaft, cheaper to by a new mower. Bending it back, nope, that puppy will never be the same.

I agree, I had to junk a mower after bending the crank

Hitting wire with a mower is no fun. One time I was mowing with a bat wing mower and wrapped up about 30 feet of power line the electric company left laying in a ditch. It's aluminum but there was so much of it wrapped so tight it took all day to cut it out. :mad:

Power Co. left about 600' after storm repairs. I thought they would come back for it. It was steel with a copper coating (I think, looked greenish).
It went to the dump. Not worth the hassle to try and explain where I got utility co wire to the metal scrap buyers.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #24  
I started finding barbed wire in the rollers of the old OC3 that I used to clear the property years ago. Have always carried a set of cutters on the back of the seat of all my tractors since. The old stuff seems to be able to stay underground for a hundred years, and then jump up into the mower blades even after mowing that area for over 25 years.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #25  
I have done the same with my Magnum Slasher , and it took close to an hour to Cut the wire from out of the underneath of the deck.. All Stopped.. All supported.. and a sh-tload of bad cuss words later, back to work!

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #26  
When I need to work on my mower I lean it against a tree with the front end loader. Very stable and easier to work standing up.

I once mowed over the nylon bow rope of my old and very heavy aluminum john boat that was sitting in deep grass. Before I could reach the PTO leaver that boat was shooting across the grass at me. It slammed into the rear wheel. Bent the bow of the boat. No damage to the rear wheel. It was surreal how fast that boat moved. I actually saw the mower grab the rope out of the grass and the boat had hit the tractor and the rope was cut by the time I got the PTO off.

10474453_329726473845765_7881992486579625267_n.jpg

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709
Did I mention I absolutely love mowing over the trash scumbags throw out their windows :banghead:

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #28  
Guy in our town was bush hogging, ran over a WATER hose, YES a water hose, slung it around and grapped his arm and took it right off at the shoulder. Pulled it right out of the socket. No putting it back. Only one arm now. Bad things can happen.

Holy cow. I never thought a water hose would do that. WOW. Poor guy.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #29  
When I need to work on my mower I lean it against a tree with the front end loader. Very stable and easier to work standing up.

I once mowed over the nylon bow rope of my old and very heavy aluminum john boat that was sitting in deep grass. Before I could reach the PTO leaver that boat was shooting across the grass at me. It slammed into the rear wheel. Bent the bow of the boat. No damage to the rear wheel. It was surreal how fast that boat moved. I actually saw the mower grab the rope out of the grass and the boat had hit the tractor and the rope was cut by the time I got the PTO off.

View attachment 379463

I've seen that happen before, pretty scary. Thanks for the tip about standing it on end.... I'm a newbie, would have never thought about that.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #30  
Solid blocks, none of these cement block things.

Best to use actual automotive locking jack stands on a hard surface like poured concrete floor or pad.