Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
I decided to do a little perimeter mowing around the fields this afternoon with the John Deere 709 rotary mower. As luck would have it I picked up a 20 foot length of heavy fence wire and got it wrapped up around the blades and stump jumper. Decided against doing something completely stupid and crawling underneath the suspended deck. I brought it backed to the house, blocked the deck up and enjoyed 30 minutes of bolt cutter action getting the tangled mess all out. Something about heavy steel wire spinning around the mower deck brings gruesome thoughts to mind.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #2  
You definitely made a wise decision of blocking the cutter up. Many have become deceased from not blocking a cutter up when under one. JD 709's are HEAVY I know I own one.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #3  
I snagged some fence wire a couple of weeks ago while I was mowing with a Woods BrushBull 72X. Fortunately, the wire snagged on the front axle pivot bolt and the right rear tire, wrapping around the axle, but didn't get caught by the blades. I had to go to town to buy a bolt cutter to get it off, total took about 4 hours (mostly driving 40 miles and shopping at Harbor Freight for other stuff too).

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #4  
Haven't got any fence wire caught up in my bush hog (yet) , however did get the wire from what appeared to be a very large womans brassiere caught up in my stumpjumper once . Or was the 48ddd the price tag ? :D

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #5  
Years ago snagged some down fence I was not aware was there. It sure wrapped up fast. Caused the slip clutch to slip. Took much longer to remove.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #6  
I got a little too close to my high tensile fence a few weeks ago with a Kuhn speed rake. It beat the heck out of my fence but no serious damage.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #7  
Sounds like the type of thing that can ruin your day real fast.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709
After the inconvenience I got what I set out to mow finished by headlight. Every time I think of crawling underneath something I shouldn't, I hear my Dad's words echoing in my head "put blocks under it!"

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #9  
A man in our county was killed a few years back I believe when his mower snagged loose barb wire and yanked it across his throat popping off the steeples.

/ Wrapped up a nice length of fence wire today with the JD 709 #10  
First time out with my Craftsman mower and had it over at my brother's place.

Caught some barb wire so fast the belt was smoking.

The Craftsman is small enough so I could tip it and spent about 45 minutes getting the wire out...

Only problem is when I started the mower... it smoked quite a bit for about a minute.

Guess some oil got past the rings... been fine since.