How much rear weight needed?

/ How much rear weight needed? #1  

RichardDLee

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 3110D
Hello,

I am waiting for delivery of my Yanmar1610D with FEL in 2 weeks time.

I know I need to keep the tractor balanced and know that I need to keep enough weight in the back to counteract the front but if I have a rear transport box on the back, how much extra weight do I need to put in it? The box weighs approx 125kg.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

/ How much rear weight needed? #2  
As the box weighs 125 Kg., as a starting point your additional weight should be 50 Kg. less than the weight of your FEL.

FEL weight will be specified in your Owner's Manual.

This assumes you have not filled the tires, or added weights to the rear wheels.

/ How much rear weight needed?
Thanks for that.

So assuming I am going to fill the FEL and i have no other weights anywhere, what ish should I put in the transport box to keep the rear end planted?

An extra 100kg? 75kg?

Thanks.

/ How much rear weight needed? #4  
What is the weight of your FEL?

Hi,

I am not sure of the weight and I cant seem to find it. I believe it is a VTek V2A.

Anyone ideas on the weight?

Thanks.

/ How much rear weight needed? #7  
Rear weight needs, IMHO, are very often under estimated. In my case, I lift a max of 2800 lbs on occasion. I have both rear tires loaded at 1000 lbs plus another 1000 lbs on the 3ph. If you don't have sufficient rear weight, then front axle/tires becomes fulcrum and, worst case, must bear entire load of FEL, tractor and rear weight. I think you should be guided by how much total weight the LOADED FEL will be lifting, not the empty FEL.

/ How much rear weight needed? #8  
Texasjohn has it right, I think. You'll have to get the specifications for your loader, but your tractor looks similar in size to a smaller Kubota such as a B2620, which has a 50 inch (1270 mm) bucket that can hold up to 6.5 cu. ft. of material. Common materials such as a wet soil-gravel mix can weigh at least 3,000 lbs/cu. yd., or 111 lbs/cu. ft. (sorry these are not metric, by the way, that's what I was able to locate). So if your bucket is similar to that Kubota one, you may be lifting upwards of 722 lbs. of material, or 328 kg, in your typical activities. You might use that approach initially and see how it feels when you actually get to work. Take it easy, especially while you are determining the "performance envelope" of the machine.

/ How much rear weight needed? #9  
Hello,

I am waiting for delivery of my Yanmar1610D with FEL in 2 weeks time.

I know I need to keep the tractor balanced and know that I need to keep enough weight in the back to counteract the front but if I have a rear transport box on the back, how much extra weight do I need to put in it? The box weighs approx 125kg.

Thanks for your help. Cheers.

Your 1500 lb tractor would probably be very happy with a 600 lb ballast box on the back. If I put it into kg's for you it would be 680 kg tractor and 270 kg ballast box.

Thanks Everyone,

Ok so that is about what i was thinking. The box weighs about 130kg and will take another 250kg. So I need to experiment with about another 140kg in the box to balance it out and see how it goes.

I don't think I will be using it for such heavy stuff but its better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks again.