Minnesota Pull behind tool towing question?

/ Minnesota Pull behind tool towing question? #1  

mikeinminneapolis

Tractor
none
I repair tractors and machines in the field. Often times I need my aircompressor and my hoist. They are both pull behind units. Hoist has screw type hitch and weighs 475lbs and has lights (even though not req) and a 2" ball hitch. My pull behind air compressor has normal flip 2" ball hitch and weighs 275 lbs and like hoist I installed lights on it for safty. In the field I have pulled both (even backup short distances). All the lights work. 2 or 3 times I have pulled both localy without issue. My question is is it leagal to pull both at the same time?

/ Minnesota Pull behind tool towing question? #2  
I don't think they differentiate in the law for given trailer weight. That being said, my cousin bought a new 5th wheel camper 2 years ago and specifically got one with a plate style hitch because he wanted to tow his atv's behind the camper and 2 ball hitches in tandem was not allowed. And yes this is in MN.

/ Minnesota Pull behind tool towing question? #3  
Fairly sure you need CDL with "doubles" - - REGARDLESS of it all being under 26K.
BTW, since you ARE using this in your biz you can't get away with any RV exemptions.

There are a LOT of gooseneck horse trailers delivered with a 2 inch receiver on the rear bumper, they seem to find it most economic to also pull a tag-along horse trailer when delivering. I have always ASSUMED that they are licensed/registered as a semi with an additional trailer, i.e. "doubles".

/ Minnesota Pull behind tool towing question?
I'm minnesota weight is important. Since they are under 3000lbs weight and are tools NOT TRAILERS! So minnesota trailer laws do not apply to them. No license possible or required. They are not req lights. Even the DMV and the State Tropers can not answer this question. One troper said "there's only one law section on tools and it dose not speciffically limit the number of tools allowed at one time". He also added it helps that they both are under the 3000lbs limit even combined in weight.

I posess a CLass A CDL with health card. DoubLe, triple, and tanker. Says valid for any combination in endorcement area. My towing vehical is a 2004 Chevy 2500 6.0 Quigley 4x4 with a 10,000 lb hitch mounted with a intrical 9,000 lb weinch. Its all super heavy duty commercial equipment

/ Minnesota Pull behind tool towing question? #6  
You could put both on a trailer and have room for other stuff, too.

Bruce

Then i wouldnt be saving fuel. Trailers weigh. And then i have to empty out 5 gal of gas from compressor to put on trailer. And to be legal id have to install ball hitchs on trailer and no. I couldnt use it to haul otherstuff. Not even gasoline for compressor. And im sure trailer have sinkin issues in peoples farm fields in sringtime

/ Minnesota Pull behind tool towing question? #8  
If the troopers couldn't answer the question reading the book... If they were behind a tractor no concern - legal. Behind a truck a good question. Troopers up in our northeast corner of the state seem to give us the benefit of the doubt but you have the Big City in your name and they may have a different interpretation down there. Also you are not nearly as likely to run into one you helped out.

/ Minnesota Pull behind tool towing question? #9  
https://revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.81

The towing regulation looks like it was written around ,several special interests. For example farmers can haul 2 empty trailers behind their pickup as long as they are within 35 miles of their local post office. Up in my neck of the woods several farmers live more than 35 miles away from the post office. They reference tools only as far as overall length but I can't see anything about doubling tools. If you haven't seen this section of towing law before you might scan and see if you spot something.

So if theres no law against it in the books and its all safe you think ill be okay? I wounder whats the worst a troper could try to do if he didnt like it. Just give me a ticket for breaking no Law? And send me on my way? I towed it in minneapolis where i do 40 percent of my repair work 2 times and no one stopped me. I just hate waisting time and gas money. Its also extramly short. Prob 25 ft from front van bumper to rear of rear tool when all 3 hooked up. And then theres 9 extra lights with it all hooked up that work