Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    kubota L3010

Default Re: Is it time for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE?

Speaking of GEARBOXes, Gale.....my tractor is a 4 spd MANUAL. I guess it uses the hydraulic fluid for lubricant...???
    But, I have had the "shaft seal" on my BUSH HOG changed TWICE and the gear lube LEAK continues. I'm told that the shaft SIZE is not the normal so the seal will not fully stop grease/oil seepage. The dealer actually told me to start pumping 000 Grease into it? I tried putting a "leak stop" in with 90 wt. gear oil but it ran thru like "sh#% thru a goose".
    I don't hear any grinding and it seems to run OK. It does get HOT though.

Tractor
    kubota L3010

Where and HOW do you guys get and change your rear TIRES? They're heavy.....yup, I decided that all by myself. If I jack the tractor up, put a stand under both sides and remove both tires.....can I roll/load them on a flatbed by myself? Would you get them at the local farm co-op or tractor supply? OH, I almost forgot....each tire has 18 gallons of windshield solvent in it for weight Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tractor
    m8540

are you inquiring about proper gear oil for the tractor or bush hog? for your kubota, would recommend Kubota UDT for the gearbox (& hyd system, all inclusive). SUTD (imho) is not necessay for your area...... as far as leaking gearbox in your bushog, well something heavy i guess will work. be sure your vent plug on that is breathing too, just check every session if it's leaking..... something too heavy in cooler temps can also blow seals.
    also, is the b/h leaking from unput shaft seal or output (underneath) seal?.... best regards

Tractor
    kubota L3010

Thanks, it's in input driveshaft seal....never checked the vent....I add about a cup of 00 wt everytime I use it. I seems to run good, no noise and doesn't get too hot even after 3 hours use.....

Tractor
    m8540

well great you've been on top of things (b/h) to avoid damage. a cup every use is quite a bit...but as you mention, shaft size etc could be an issue. there should be a breather plug somewhere on the box, worth checking out. some have spring ball check valves, older ones have a kind of bunched reed/wires config for lack of better description. after use when hot, back off the breather plug and check for back pressure in the box, shouldn't be much. otherwise, you may consider going to a bearing house w/shaft measurement & OD of seal housing for a correct match.
    even good seals will leak when the b/h gearbox level is overfilled. something to consider..... sounds like on the tractor side, you have it covered. best regards
    btw in regards to loaded rear tire change, (mine are considerably heavier than yours) i have finally decided to hire a tractor tire place to come out and do the job. much easier. safer too. best

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

simple drain and refill of coolant, i tend to do a " flushing " if you have access to a local car / repair shop. they can make life easier in draining the old coolant, and flushing the system, and then refilling.

tractor tires see... TIPS / TRICKS for tires

owner manual for tractor for most part is a descent list to go by. as far as fluid changes, and filter changes and like.

parts manual can be found online at most manufacture websites

shop/service manual = better diagrams and full description of tearing stuff apart and testing things as you go, and then putting it all back together. if you are a DIY'er sounds like you are, might be time to invest on a shop manual so you have it around when something actually happens.
    Ryan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12