Is it time for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE?

/ Is it time for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE? #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010

Hello fellas, been a quiet winter/spring. Retired from my 40 year career, had eye surgery and haven't been able to get back up to my "farm" But, sure have missed it. Had a neighbor friend tell me that DEER are everywhere. Hope they enjoyed the 3 acres of clover and 2 acres of turnips and kale that I planted for them last October.
Anyway, just wondering.....I have my 2000 Kubota L-3010. (A 30 HP 4X4 Diesel) It only has about 510 hours on it. The last owner had JUST changed the hydraulic hoses. I changed the oil/filter at 400 and at 490. I changed the hydraulic fluid/filter at 400. Changed the air filters at 450. Changed front axle/diff oil at 400. Replaced battery last fall. Changed the fuel filter at 450 hours.....
I am thinking that I have NEVER changed the fan belt or the coolant.....or the radiator hoses.
I'm not LOOKING for work mind you but by doing "preventative" maint. I've seldom been stranded in my cars/trucks. Seems like a tractor would be about the same.
Comments or laughter welcomed.
Thanks, Rob:eek:

/ Is it time for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE? #2  
It is just about always time to do "preventative maintenance".

There are proactive people and reactive people. Make your choice.

/ Is it time for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE? #3  
Does the fan belt LOOK worn or shabby? If not it's probably fine. I have a couple of 15 year old kubotas with original belts on them. Coolant is something that degrades over time and can cause engine damage (corrosion). An alternative is to test it.

/ Is it time for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE? #4  
I agree with Ken. Whether I changed the fan belt would depend on what it looks like. But I'd sure change the coolant.

/ Is it time for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE? #5  
Thats the same tractor and vintage I have. I agree with the others on the coolant and and fan belt. My belt and battery are still fine with a lot more hours than you have on yours. You might recheck your front axle level if you haven't since you changed it. It takes some run time to get the air out after a change and the level drops quite a bit.
Mine has been a great tractor by the way. No major problems at all.

/ Is it time for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE? #6  
I agree with Ken & Bird. I would change to coolant. Based more on years than hours, sounds like you have more years on it than a lot of hours per year.

/ Is it time for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE? #7  
There's no such thing as 'over maintenance' if you go by the WSM or Owner's Manual. Invariably when I'm performing some maintenance item early, I'll find something else that I overlooked earlier. Grease and fluids are cheap compared to replacement parts and labor.

Congrats on your 40 year retirement. I just did my 50 year a few years ago and am now heading for my eye surgery as well. Life is good!

/ Is it time for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE? #8  
Coolant that has a protective (from corrosion) of 2-5 years depending on what kind is spec for your machine is good to replace or beef up with additives.

Tractors that are not used to make a living, rented out, etc I do not get hyper about belts and hoses.

Preventative maintenance on the tractors especially the 1983 JD backhoe on things like belts and hoses I leave them be UNLESS I have to remove them for some service work. If I had to remove the radiator or water pump I would not reuse hoses showing their age and the same for hydraulic hoses.

One exception on preventative maintenance is ME. :) About 5 years ago we got the 265 MF and the 16' flat dump 1989 F-700 and the JD backhoe when I was 58 and I plan to use them from time to time until I am at least 80. Since belts and hoses in my case will last about 30 years I have redone some that I did not expect to last until I am 80 and that I did not want to do at age 75. :)

An alternator that charges fine but the bearing is talking back to you from time to time may not last another 20 years so I may address that. If one is going in for major surgery like a shoulder replacement you may consider getting heavy maintenance behind you.

Hydraulic fluid if it does not get a lot of water in can be good for 10-20 years I have observed in farm equipment used as toys. It can take that many years to get 500 hours on it. :)

Most preventative maintenance with tractors used as toys is more for the therapy of the owner than the machine in my view/experience. With that being said it is the fact that many of us posting here are going to have a heart attack, stroke and other physical and mental issues. IF we have our equipment up in good shape service wise we may on our 'good' days still want to bush hog, grade or clean out a ditch.

The kids are 16 and know how to do the maintenance and repairs or can figure it out and if they stay in the area they can use or take anything they need as they will bring the equipment and do what I need/want done. :)

/ Is it time for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE?
Thanks for all the inputs. All good ideas. I do need to grease more often. The tractor is used mainly to bush hog along the mile long road and the 3 acre field. Occasionally I'll take the chain saw and make a 100 yard path thru the woods and do some REAL brush hoggin. I get alot of fine "fluffy" seed stuff when I cut that upper field from so much SAGE grass. I try to clean out the battery box and air filter because of that. I'll check the belt and CHANGE the coolant........and re-check the front axle hyd fluid.
Thanks All

/ Is it time for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE? #10  
We do not have any HST transmissions but if we did I would hope we would service them by the book. Any old gear box with most any kind of lube may be by with poor service but not some much in something like a HST.