Light bulb under oil pan?

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #11  
If you have electric power to the car why not just install a block heater . It will do a much better job.

Egon

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i don't think the warn oil HELPS it to start, just think it makes the oil flow better on cold starts. so u get more lubrication faster. )</font>

Warm oil also warms the block and internal parts, which in turn reduces friction, which in turn makes it easier for the starter to spin the engine faster, which in turn allows the compression to compress the fuel, which in turn allows the fuel to ignite more quickly, which in turn allows the engine to start easier..... whether you warm the oil and it warms the cooling system or you warm the cooling system and it warms the oil, it is all the same thing..... the goal is to get the engine started more easily and that is what warming does... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( Didn't think they were touching until the sleeping bag caught on fire )</font>
Andy,
You have me a bit baffled. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
If the light bulb was under the hood, with the hood closed, and the sleeping bag on top of the hood.
How did the sleeping bag touch the light bulb. Or was it the sleeping bag touching the hood ? )</font>

Stupid me, sleeping bag was under the hood!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #14  
Considering it is a 100watt passive radiant heater.. right under the main oil sump.. why not?.. Plus with that thick 30w in the cold.. he probably needed the light.

I've done the same with my water pump, and or certain plants after being wrapped in a blanket.. though more like a 10 or 40 watt light with the plants..

Soundguy

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i don't think the warn oil HELPS it to start, just think it makes the oil flow better on cold starts. so u get more lubrication faster )</font>

That warm oil lubricates better on startup.. ( I think that startup - lube issue is one of the big pro-ponets of synthetic oil.. better cold weather handling.. etc.. )

Soundguy

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #16  
Soundguy....... that is not a quote from my posting, but a quote from someone else... Those are the words of Frank F15.... I agree with you about the synthetic, and that it is warmth that really makes the differance...

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #17  
Not to drag this off topic, but there's a safety concern with light bulbs.

As others have mentioned, a light bulb produces quite a bit of heat. When I was really sick one time as a kid, Mom wanted a night light in my room so she could come in and see if I was still breathing during the night. The light bothered me, so she covered it with a scarf. She smelled smoke the next time she came in to check on me! This was one of those Christmas light-sized bulbs, which was most likely a 7 watt lamp.

When we built our house, I placed receptacles under the windows on a single switch for a candle circuit. We only buy 4 watt lamps for these. At 4 watts, they are plety bright, and stay fairly cool......................chim

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #18  
Hi...

How about using electric pipe or roof/gutter heating strips/wires under the hood ?

Seems safer that a hot bulb...

Dave...

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #19  
Dave,
You wouldn't get the radiant effect of the heat. A heat tape or a gutter cable keeps it's heat concentrated to a given path. You would need to wrap the cable around everything on your engine that you wanted to keep warm in order for it to have any usefull effect.

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #20  
AndyMA:

Actually, I had the lightbulb under the hood and the sleeping bag on top of the hood -- no way the bulb could touch the bag. I wanted to keep the heat inside the engine compartment - not inside the bulb /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Sorry, couldn't help it.