Light bulb under oil pan?

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #1  

Wal

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500HST (Kobi)
Many, many years ago, my father was convinced that putting a 100W light bulb right under the oil pan of his car every night in cold ( less than 20 degrees F) weather would keep the oil enough warmer to help the old thing start. Of course, he was also convinced that multi-vis oil was just a fad and that he would never switch from using straight 30W all year round /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Does anyone think the light bulb trick has any merit????

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #2  
Actually under the oil pan I have never heard of. But from experience I can tell you putting it under the hood can seem to make a significant difference in very low temperatures. It is surprising how much heat if trapped under the hood can be produced from a light bulb.!

John

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #3  
I have used that trick, and it does help. If you really think it is going to get cold, throw an old quilt or sleeping bag over the hood to help keep the heat in. You would be surprised at how much heat a 100 Watt bulb puts out. The vehicle started easier in cold weather and warmed up faster because the oil was already warm enough to circulate freely. I believe it kept the coolant in the radiator a few degrees warmer, also, so that helped with warmup time on cold mornings. Stopped using the method when I started having block heaters installed on my trucks. Just need to remember to pull the light bulb and cord out before starting and moving the vehicle -- embarassing, otherwise /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif -- BTDT.

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( putting a 100W light bulb right under the oil pan )</font>
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does anyone think the light bulb trick has any merit???? )</font>

Yep, but only if it has wires attached that are plugged in somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have used that trick, and it does help. If you really think it is going to get cold, throw an old quilt or sleeping bag over the hood to help keep the heat in. You would be surprised at how much heat a 100 Watt bulb puts out. The vehicle started easier in cold weather and warmed up faster because the oil was already warm enough to circulate freely. I believe it kept the coolant in the radiator a few degrees warmer, also, so that helped with warmup time on cold mornings. )</font> I'd be real careful with covering it with anything. I had a very bad experience. Actually only a moderately bad experience... I had a bulb under the hood of my wife's car and covered it with a sleeping bag. Didn't think they were touching until the sleeping bag caught on fire. Fortunately caught it in time and no damage to car. Sleeping bag was totaled. I'd still do it but I'd be real careful what I cover it with. Insulation might be nice.

Andy

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Didn't think they were touching until the sleeping bag caught on fire )</font>
Andy,
You have me a bit baffled. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
If the light bulb was under the hood, with the hood closed, and the sleeping bag on top of the hood.
How did the sleeping bag touch the light bulb. Or was it the sleeping bag touching the hood ?

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #7  
More important than keeping the oil warm is keeping the battery warm. I would keep a mechanics trouble light under the hood near the battery, covered, (but not touching), by a blanket or quilt....Works great.

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #8  
My Dad used this trick for years. There was one time he tells me, when many a year ago, that this method allowed his car, to be the only one in the work housing comunity (a big union job ) to start. He wound up driving all his work buddies in to work. He even tells what the temp was which I can't remember, but it was MANY degrees below 0.
People (including me) have used the warmth generated by light bulbs, to keep plumbing pipes from freezing.
As has been said. A 100 watt bulb pruduces considerable consistant heat for a long period of time.

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #9  
I would presume a 100 watt light bulb would produce close to 350 BTU's.

They also make magnet electric heaters that will stick to the oil pan, block, or a metal shoe rack under my desk to be used as a foot warmer. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Light bulb under oil pan? #10  
i don't think the warn oil HELPS it to start, just think it makes the oil flow better on cold starts. so u get more lubrication faster.