Borrow my tractor......

/ Borrow my tractor...... #1  

dieselsmoke1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2810HST
Well I just did a hard thing....let a good friend borrow my tractor. He knows how to run equipment and the use in an open area......still get that little knaw though.

Hope he's still my good friend after he brings it home /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Borrow my tractor...... #2  
Well, I understand your situation, if he is a good buddy and knows how to operate your equipment there should not be too much worry involved. I used to let my friend borrow my Jubilee and when I needed his Ford 1520 I was always welcome to do that. HOWEVER, now that I have a newer JD if he asked to borrow that one I would inquire if the NAA would serve his needs. Maybe you could consider buying a second tractor for situations like this....?.

/ Borrow my tractor...... #3  
I think I've of volunteered to do the work for him, if possible.

Should he have an accident or damage the tractor...determining responsibility can ruin a good friendship.

Just my personal opinion...

/ Borrow my tractor......
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think I've of volunteered to do the work for him, if possible.)</font>

I would have much prefered, but have a touch of this funk that's going around and don't need to be outside that long. He's about out of time to get the work done prior to his loan closing.

/ Borrow my tractor...... #5  
You don't loan out your wife or your tractor.......... well at least the tractor, because if someone borrows my wife, they can keep her..... no returns !! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Borrow my tractor...... #6  
Last time I lent my tractor to a neighbor it was 6 months old. He called me to tell me it quit in the field. Turns out the valve lifter assembly came loose from the head. Guess I couldn't blame him but it left a sour taste in my mouth as I was the lucky mechanic that got to fix it.

/ Borrow my tractor...... #7  
I have a neighbor whose garage is as clean as most peoples houses. His hand and power tools are immaculate and his 3 year old TC29D looks like the day he bought it.

I have no problem with the occasional "lend out" of a tractor/attachment to someone like this. You know if the tractor starts to make a strange noise he will stop it right now and figure out the problem. The equipment will also come back cleaner than when it left.

But for those guys whose equipment hasn't seen a storage shed or an occasional bath sorry, I can't sleep at night if I lend it out. I know I may offend some folks here but the way you take care of your tractor/equipment is an indication of how you might take care of mine when you use it for a couple of days. I'd much rather do the work for you for free, or perhaps a cold beverage or two, than lend it out.

I started a similar thread about a year ago. The responses were about the same. Lend out the tractor on a rare occasion to someone who you know is a tractor guy and knows how to care for the equipment. You don't lend out your $20,000 compact tractor to a guy whose only contact with power equipment is a 21" Toro push mower.

/ Borrow my tractor......
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You don't loan out your wife or your tractor.......... )</font>

Because you can throw a rod in either one /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Borrow my tractor...... #9  
Like in oh brother were art thou, **** I'm in a tight spot. That's a good way to lose a friend. I've been in both positions and about half the time it goes bad. Hope it turns out okay! I'm with you on the wife thing though. Far as I'm concerned anybody that wants can borrow her. I know they'd bring her back!

/ Borrow my tractor...... #10  
My brother and a good friend of mine bought lots that are next to each other. Back last year they started working to clear them. They were using my dad's 25hp Mitsubishi to clear drag a LS box and rear scoop with. They bent the toplink once, knock the grill out another time and then had a tiny 29 cent roll pin break in the transmission. The roll pin just happened. The rest to me was carelessness. The friend asked one night if they could use my 30hp Yanmar with loader for the next day. Seeing that I had National Guard that day and I couldn't do the work I carried the tractor over to their place. Sunday when I got home he called to tell me how well the tractor performed. And that it had a crease in the hood. How? Well the loader bucket came down on it? How? The hood was up when we were putting the fan belt back on. Why? A stick run up the side of the engine. By the way it doesn't seem to be idling right. They think it is a joke that I don't want to loan my dozer or new Deere out to them.